Not Eating, Stringy Poop

biodives

One of my Apistogramma stopped eating at the start of this week and now has long "empty" strings of poop. It looks like a thin sausage without filling. He was still coming out at feedings but not eager to bite and it he did he would immediately spit it out again. He might bite it a few times in a row but never swallow.

From what I've been reading here and elsewhere, Jungle Parasite Clear would be a good med but they don't have it at Big Al's or Petland. Walmart had it but it is out of stock. I have put the patient in a 10 gallon quarantine tank with Seachem Paraguard as treatment. The description reads as if it is mild enough that it shouldn't hurt, but it also focuses on ectoparasites whereas I think I'm dealing with a disease that is gastrointestinal origin.

Any advice on whether Paraguard may work, what else to try, and/or where to get Jungle Parasite Clear in Edmonton.

Thx. Bart

Try soaking food in garlic, or Thera+A by New Life Spectrum - that usually gets them eating, and the Gaelic seems to have a bit of an antibiotic agent to it.

Thanks Jason. Apparently Big Al's carries it so I will try to get some tomorrow. New Life Spectrum's small fry starter may also come in handy as my Apistos may be getting close to the point where they can take it. At the moment the sick Apisto isn't eating so that would be a problem for the Thera-A formula but hopefully the paraguard will help enough to get the appetite back up. Is this the kind of food that would be good to feed occasionally in a preventative manner, as it does not seem to contain any harsh medicines and be a good form of nutrition in its own right.

Paraguard is a great med, but it is only effective for external issues, and therefore will not have any effect on your internal problems indicated by the poop. Like Jason, I have also used the NLS Thera A and its good for stimulating appetite and as a preventive as well. My go to medications to try for internal issues are Metronidazole, and Flubendazole. Metro is good at selecting anaerobic bacteria and protozoans which typically reside in the GI of the fish, which seems to be in line with your symptoms. The Flu goes after round worms that might be the culprit as well. The Metro has a broader scope, so may be a better start.

The NLS Hex-Shield food is wicked awesome. Its impregnated with Metro, and loaded with Garlic. Its expensive, and probably not worth buying, but the quality and direct delivery (if you can get the fish to eat) make it a really good option.

Hope that helps

Thanks Andrew. Sounds like I may have to cycle over to my LFS once again. They will start to think I'm working there :) But it is a great fish so it would be a shame if he didn't make it.

Thanks for all the tips. I did cycle back to pick up the metronidazole, the last bottle left at Big Al's. But by the time I got home the fish had gone to bluer pastures :(

I could not find any of the other meds mentioned at Big Al's or Petland, both within my cycling range, but will check next time I get to Aquarium Central. Based on this experience I would like to have some meds at hand so I can start treatment ASAP, but on the other side don't want to have a whole collection some of which I'll never need/use. Is there a small set of go-to medicines that are worth stocking up on in advance? It seems that medications for itch and other external parasite as well as fungal infections are widely available, so I can get them when needed. If I just get Clout or Jungle Parasite Clear, would that cover most bases or are there others that people consider must-haves. Or maybe I should talk the Edmonton fish club into starting a little pharmacy.