Fahaka Puffer With Parasites

japanda

Hi my friend has a large fahaka Puffer in a 150 gal tank presenting with white poop, low activity, disinterest in food. The tank was treated with metro for the size of the tank and now a water change.

I am wondering what is a more cost effective measure of treatment as the fish is still ill and metro was $80.

Any advice is appreciated. No interest in blood worms,shrimp or snails probably hasn't eaten in about 3 weeks.

Thank you

Dosing a 180 Gallon tank seems a little asinine to me, especially if the symptoms of the puffer are not systemic in the rest of the population in the tank.

1. Buy/Borrow/Steal a smaller hospital tank

2. Find a good broad spectrum med including but not limited to (Seachem - PolyGuard Or Mardel - Clout )

3. Clout is a sledgehammer for protozoan and arthropoda (insect) type things, where the Polyguard is a very good well rounded med that covers more bacterial bases than Clout. In terms of bacteria, Polyguard is new(ish) and may have an advantage in terms of the bacterial susceptibility if shown resistance to other meds.

Hope that helps

Andrew

If you search for white stringy poop you get lots of hits. Seems to be reasonably common and caused by intestinal parasites (flagellates, nematodes, ...?). Metronidazole was suggested by Andrew and also based on further reading it should be a good medicine. I ordered a fish disease book so in a few weeks I hope to be better informed about prevention, early diagnosis, and treatment.

In this case the only thing I can think of is injecting metronidazole. Apparently there is an injectible form but you would probably have to have a vet to get it, and likely to deliver it. Not sure if how easy it is to find a vet who knows what to do with fish.

Edited by biodives