Group Of Corydoras Sterbai

NLaferriere

Got a group of 10 young Corydoras sterbai last week to get a breeding group going. Took them a couple days to start eating and now they're little gobble monsters. Thankfully I was able to dig up some earthworms and chop them up fine so they could fit them in their little mouths. That got them going and now I have them on chopped earthworm and flake.

I snapped a few pics of them tonight. Should be a few months before they start spawning but already they're looking good. Can't believe how active they are! They're in a species tank with sand and small stones from a local mountain stream.

pic1%20oct%2010%202016_zps6zj3sijb.jpgpic3%20oct%2010%202016_zpssej0ceml.jpg

Nice work! I've set up an indoor worm composter starting out with 25 red wrigglers. I tried feeding a few small ones I after chopping in short pieces and they got eaten so fast by the red phantoms that they were gone before I could see what happened. It looks like the worms are reproducing nicely and I can start feeding them more frequently to my fish this winter.

• 1 month later...

I used to breed Corys, almost "on demand". The trick seemed to have been feeding them white worms. Since my white worm culture died, I have had no luck breeding corys. I am interested to see if the red wriggles work on them, as you can buy them more easily to setup a culture . . . And yes, once you have convinced your girlfriend the worms won't get out keep an eye on your culture. Too much moisture and the culture will rot, and your girlfriend will never forget that smell!

I haven't had my white or red wriggler cultures rot so far, but I do get small black flies. They tend to stay inside the container so haven't been a problem yet. What I really would like to do is find a way to catch the flies and feed them to my pencilfish and splash tetras. They like fruitflies but the smaller black flies may be easier to fit the tiny mouths of pencilfish, in particular the Nannostomus eques.