Fish Breeding Books Or Websites

biodives

In the past my fish have occasionally spawned in the tank and I enjoyed the show but had no interest/time to take on breeding as a hobby. I now have more tanks and am interested to make a more direct effort to breed the fish I keep. Mostly for the challenge and to observe their behavior. If it subsidizes the hobby a bit that would be a bonus.

Searching for resources online or books at amazon there is tons of information on how to get species X to breed but I haven't found much on breeding in general. How to select breeding stock, breeding with wild caught specimens vs captive raised, do's/don'ts of hybrids, inbreeding, line breeding, culling, how to maintain live food cultures to feed breeders and fry, use of medications to prevent fungus, etc. Amazon has a bunch of books aimed at breeding of tropical fish but they are all for the Chinese market.

Can you guys recommend a place to start reading up on "best practices" to generate high quality offspring. I am not interested in hybrids or line breeding of special traits, just healthy fish that are as close to their wild ancestors as possible.

Thanks. I joined ACE last September and already have some books of their library here at home. I will have to ask more specifically about who to talk to at the next club meeting. I would love to see some breeder setups, share stories, and learn from their experiences.