Hello From Calgary.

stonecali

Hello,

I am a very new fish keeper. I bought a 23 Gallon tank for my grand kids.

This fun activity for them has caused me to purchase 2 more tanks.

A 60 Gallon and a small 5 gallon hospital / isolation tank.

I had to learn the hard way about cycling the first tank (with lots of fish).

Took about 15 weeks in total from beginning to end. However its cycled now and we started on the 60 Gallon (planted now).

I had to move 4 Lyre tail Mollies over as the 23 Gallon one was overstocked. We joined the Calgary Aquarium club on Tuesday night and are looking forward to some interesting time.

Stonecali and Cheryl.

Welcome and congratulations with catching the aquarium bug. You will find there is enough to discover, learn and enjoy to last a lifetime and hopefully help your grand kids understand and appreciate the wonderful life underwater. If your new planted tank has a lot of plants, including floaters, you may find the cycling to take a lot less time. I cycle my tanks for as little as 1 week but patience and resisting temptation at the LFS are important.

Update: the tank does not necessarily cycle faster but the plants compensate for the immature biological filter so your pioneer fish will be happier. In my case I run all my tanks completely without biological filter and just rely on my plants. So my tanks are never truly cycled at all.

Edited by biodives

Hello all, thank you for the welcome. Sorry for the late reply but work got a bit in the way this week.

Jack Dempsey, thank you for the offer, but I think I am good at the moment.

The grand kids "help" with the cleaning and hauling water away, they all like feeding time so have to be a bit careful there.

I hope they get the bug and enjoy it as much as I am so far.