Fluval FX5 mod - increase media volume

ckmullin

Thought I had posted this a while back but don't seem able to find it right now.  This is not my mod, I'm posting info about another hobbyists work.  I had contacted the owner and it is fine to repost this info.

2iaz7f5.png

dh7dwl.png

2ngecd1.png

35bbfa0.png

15qpy1l.png

Edited by ckmullin

• 1 month later...

Why wouldn't u just buy a used Eheim canister filter? U can install a larger pump if GPH is what this is all about. Or u could just use a quality bio media lol. The way the bottom of the Fluval FX5/6 bucket is designed makes this mod very ineffective. Not to mention that those baskets are not cheap to replace when u realize that this mod is not so great!

U could probably get better flow and saturation of media by building a DIY 5 gallon bucket filter not to mention it would be a lot cheaper than cutting and hacking a $400 filter! 

Another very simple mod would be to ensure that the area between the body housing and the baskets is completely filled with foam. Doesn't require any physical modifications and is cheap. This will result in the same increased area for the production of nitrifying bacteria with out wrecking your filter.

Just go buy the Eheim filter if this mod seems attractive to u!

Don't mean to seem confrontational its just how i roll lol

LOL.

Mate, this info is years and years and years old.  This ain't my tweak or info.  At the time that person who created this hack, this info was all the rage and very popular.  TImes change, peoples attitude change but information is always information.  A couple years back this info was specifically requested by another member, I spent my OWN time tracking things down for them...searched...contacted the author, asked for permission to repost and put this post together.

How I roll is to give info to people, if people don't like it that is their business.  Free country I tho.

11 hours ago, ckmullin said:

LOL.

Mate, this info is years and years and years old.  This ain't my tweak or info.  At the time that person who created this hack, this info was all the rage and very popular.  TImes change, peoples attitude change but information is always information.  A couple years back this info was specifically requested by another member, I spent my OWN time tracking things down for them...searched...contacted the author, asked for permission to repost and put this post together.

How I roll is to give info to people, if people don't like it that is their business.  Free country I tho.

Can u guess who's the newb? LOL Dunno if its just my browser but the dates seem like it was posted recent. Couldn't believe myself when I saw this haha oh well maybe it will help dissuade someone from trying this lol