Hi

Terri

Hi,

I am Terri and I am new to the world of aquarium ownership. I have thee little ones and am a stay at home mom, Prior to that I was a clinical research coordinator for an endocrinologist and received my BSc in biological science from the university of Guelph. We recently started a 25 gallon tank with one Dalmatian molly and three platies (2 female one male) and two shrimp. We have had the tank since my daughters 8th birthday (6 months ago) and things are going well, so well in fact we have five one month old molly babies (not sure how that happened other than she came inseminated from the fish store).  I am here to learn the hobby, with my eight year old daughter, and hopefully ask any questions as they arise. Thanks for allowing me to join we are really enjoying this new hobby so far, although my Great Dane and parrot seem a little jealous with the attention they now have to share.

Hi Terri,

It's a great hobby and even nicer if you can share it with your kids. As a fellow biologist I also find it fascinating to get a look at the hidden world underwater and learn about fish, plants, bacteria ...
Livebearers, including mollies and platies, store sperm and can keep it viable for a while so you may get more babies from that same mystery dad. I hope for you that the other two kids will turn 8 soon so you get an excuse to buy more aquariums :)

Bart

On 2017-01-31 at 8:13 AM, biodives said:

Hi Terri,

It's a great hobby and even nicer if you can share it with your kids. As a fellow biologist I also find it fascinating to get a look at the hidden world underwater and learn about fish, plants, bacteria ...
Livebearers, including mollies and platies, store sperm and can keep it viable for a while so you may get more babies from that same mystery dad. I hope for you that the other two kids will turn 8 soon so you get an excuse to buy more aquariums :)

Bart

Hi Bart,

I feel 100% the same as you, and this having fry is extra exciting as my passion was genetics so seeing the diversity amongst them is really amazing and has me wondering what the father fish looked like. My other kids aren't eight for a few years, but seeing as their mom is a huge child at heart I am sure it won't be long until there is more. Already I am caught by my husband hanging out in my daughter's room studying the aquarium multiple times a day....Maybe I should suggest my own tank for Mother's Day lol.

You do realize that there are 98 days, 14 hours and 25 minutes left before it is mother's day. That won't do. I suggest family day as a much better alternative. It also looks less sel"fish"

Cheers

• 1 month later...
On 2017-01-31 at 8:13 AM, biodives said:

Hi Terri,

Bart

Hi Bart,

I feel 100% the same as you, and this having fry is extra exciting as my passion was genetics so seeing the diversity amongst them is really amazing and has me wondering what the father fish looked like. My other kids aren't eight for a few years, but seeing as their mom is a huge child at heart I am sure it won't be long until there is more. Already I am caught by my husband hanging out in my daughter's room studying the aquarium multiple times a day....Maybe I should suggest my own tank for Mother's Day lol.

On 2017-02-04 at 9:35 AM, biodives said:

You do realize that there are 98 days, 14 hours and 25 minutes left before it is mother's day. That won't do. I suggest family day as a much better alternative. It also looks less sel"fish"

Cheers

3 hours ago, Terri said:

Biodives how right you are, wish I had seen your post before family day passed by...maybe Easter would work. I have to admit this aquarium hobby is addicting, I may need help to stop.

You won't get any help to stop here, we are ALL enablers.  I suggest getting a bigger tank, next.  Right now, my SMALLEST tank is 75gal!! :o

If you haven't bought that extra tank yet then you have at most a mild case of aquaritis. You need not worry until only 75+ gallon tanks can satisfy your craving :)