Hi all!

Starry

I'm looking forward to getting back into freshwater. I used to keep planted tanks and was hobby breeding angels on a pretty large scale several years ago.

The last 10 years or so I have been keeping reef tanks but have broken down my 180 gallon reef in favor of a future 40 breeder planted tank. Tech has changed alot in last 12 years or so, I look forward to catching up!

Wellcome!

I just started a 40G breeder last weekend. It's a good size and not too tall so lighting plants will be relatively easy. Are you aiming for Asian, South American, African or cosmopolitan inhabitants? I'm into South American fish, dwarf cichlids in particular.

Thinking south american with a sprinkling of asian. :)  8-10 Pygmy cories or 6 Juli cories, shole of rummy nose, shole of Cardnials. 2 hatchets, 1 betta for the wife.

as for plants, am thinking corkscrew Vals, Anubias, 1-2 crypts (depends what I can find) java fern, water wisteria, red ludwigia, and havent desided on carpet yet, either hairgrass or glosso. All in pool filter sand with root tabs

Has been a temporary change of plans, am going to set up a 28 gallon cube for now, 2 23w cfl I will do the 40 towards end of summer. (I have a spare cube left from a mini reef I did)

Will Post pics as things progress.

Starry

That should be a reasonable fish and plant load for a 28 gal tank but I'd add a few more hatchets myself. My 40 gallon breeder now has growing plants and a good load of driftwood but is still awaiting fish. Just this morning I got news that some of my target fish have been ordered by Curtis Jerrom in Calgary, I just have to find out how long before they come in and go through quarantine. He also has cardinals and I believe that Carnegiella strigata hatchet fish and all three dwarf cories should come soon. Just in case you can't find them locally. He posts his lifestock on this forum in the lifestock classifieds section.