40b plant lighting

Starry

I'm a fan of the Finnex price, but I've found that their power supply only lasts a few years.  An LED flood would be cheap, too... just a bit ugly and mounting could be a challenge. I've never used Current USA brands.

Do you think 1 Finnex would cover the 36" by 18" footprint? If I were to do the LED flood I think I would go with 2 30w in a homemade plywood canopy. with 120 Degree spread I should get full coverage. I like the idea of a 36x18 tank, will take whatever depth I can get, either a 40 breeder(16" deep) or a 50 if I can find one(18" deep)

The Finnex will cover fine - I had one of the first-gen planted lights grow anything on a 90gal which is 24" deep.

I have Aqueon Optibright+, Finnex (model?), and USA Current Satellite Pro+. The latter is more powerful but also a lot more expensive. The first is barely adequate for a 12" tall tank but affordable, looks sleek, and has sunrise/sunset + timer. My Finnex was second hand and the power supply broke within a month or two. I just bought a new PS with higher rating and expect to still get a lot of use out of that light. It would be powerful enough for 12-16" tall tanks, perhaps a little more but probably not 24". The USA CSP+ will do a 24" tall planted tank looks good and has sunrise/sunset + timer. I'm now building my own LED lights from parts. Much more powerful than any commercial aquarium LEDs (at least within my budget), much more lumens/watt, but not as pretty and no build in sunrise/sunset features. The 40G breeder I set up last weekend has a DIY 4000 lumens 3' LED light for about 50 bucks and less than 30 watt. A 4' USA CSP+ gives 3000 lumens at 60 watt for a little over $400.

Edited by biodives

• 8 months later...

What do you mean with "share". If you want to know how to build them you can find all the details, parts and places to order in these two blogs of mine

http://biodives.com/blog/?p=92

http://biodives.com/blog/?p=127