Tap water and ammonia

maligne

ya im pretty sure the test results are good, although my test kit is getting old. I tested my tank parameters last night and it tested .25ppm. Of course It was not a huge deal because I used a good dose of prime. I never have ammonia in my tank. Iv had it running for 2 years under stocked with a large canister filter. I threw some ammonia remover in then I checked my tap water 3 times and it was at 50ppm every time. I checked it again this morning and my tap is still at 50 and my tank is now at zero

I just did a 50% WC on my 125 Tang tank and a 100% SC on my Axolotls (had to move the tank) on Wednesday and everyone is fine.  I use a hose, so dose enough Prime (Seachem Safe) to treat the entire volume of the tank... plus over-filtering. :)   I have been doing large WCs on all of my tanks for years and have never really noticed any problems with the seasonal bumps in chloramine with our city supply - I suspect the amount of Safe I dose takes care of any residual ammonia until its consumed by the filters.

Epcor does not disclose Ammonia/Ammonium in their monthly report so its hard to find any good data on it. I would be really careful jumping to conclusions considering how crude our crude colorimetric assays are, and their huge limitations. They are still useful, and I own a kit or two (both API) but its more of a qualitative than quantitative measurement. I would trust your local Edmonton legends (who have already commented), and use your Seachem Prime faithfully. If your still worried, you could roll some Purigen or other chemical media with ammonia/ammonium absorption capabilities for a while post water-changes to try and absorb it.

HTH

Andrew