Feeding acara's live?

maligne

I have 4 blue acaras now, I feed them North fin krill gold and Community formula with a little NLS and frozen brine shrimp and blood worms. I would really like to start feeding them some fresh foods. I feed my dog fresh meats and veggies because its good for her and the same must be true for my fish.  I have read that people chop up pieces of shrimp and mussel, I read a blog where a person said he feeds beef heart. Im also interested in live foods. Earth worms in the summer time? can I feed whole earth worms or do you chop them up first. What do you folks do? any solid advice would be appreciated!!!

Worm cultures? is that just for fry or do the adults eat them too?

I run a red wriggler worm culture all winter as a kitchen veggie scrap composter and it also gets the excess aquarium plants. I need to cut up the worms for my tetras and dwarf cichlids. For acaras at least the smaller worms can eaten whole. I also culture white worms, grindal worms and micro worms. The latter only for fry, and even grindals may be too small for acara. White worms would be a good size but they recommend not to feed them too often.

There is a lot of controversy in feeding beef heart - some people say they've been feeding their breeding stock that for years (some people almost exclusively) and it's great; others say that fishes digestive system has a hard time handling the mammalian protein/fat.  Acaras would normally feed on bugs, so I imagine any small crustacean/insect would be great. They'd also eat any worm they came across.  Red wrigglers are an excellent food; chop them up to an appropriate size - I have seen fish choke to death trying to swallow pieces that are too big.

For myself I don't believe in  diets, supplements, "health food" etc. Just eat a wide diversity and let my body pick and choose what it needs. I do the same for my fish. Diversity of life, frozen, and dry foods and they should get whatever they need.I guess life food is a luxury for the fish but they do spark up, especially when they get the red wriggler worms.