Arapaima For Sale

FunkSolid

I never thought I would ever see one of these for sale... In Calgary... On Kijiji! I could be naive, but have never laid eyes on one in a home or fishstore (I did see them at the Vancouver Aquarium). The red coloration is amazing as well. I dont have a 10,000 Gallon tank so I have to pass, but I am still totally shocked to see it.

What do you think?

Have you ever seen these for sale in Alberta before (am I naive)?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-fish/calgary/super-super-rare-arapaima/1250476856?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Andrew

I think I remember hearing about someone bringing them in last year sometime.  "It'll just grow to the size of the tank" is one of the worst "OK Fish Practices" I know.

The common arapaima are relatively easy to buy but are seasonal and can only be purchased in small sizes (6-8") and of course with the accompanying CITES permit. The other 4 types are impossible to source as they are very close to extinction in the wild. These commons are bred in captivity and mostly marketed as food fish. The only things holding back the sales are the extreme size and strength of these monsters. 10' and 450 lbs. is a tank buster and one that size is not going to subsist on pellets. It would much rather slurp down 20 lb. salmon or anything else in that size range it could crush and swallow in that massive mouth. In the wild they eat anything that happens to be in the water usually near the surface where they spend most of their time as they have to come up for air every 10-20 minutes. This necessity has been their downfall as they make easy targets for fishermen with harpoons and 10 footers are a rarity in the wild..

Concept aquariums brought them in. I seen about 10 in the tank so be prepared to see more up for sale in the future when they outgrow their aquariums. Most likely the owners will have killed them before that as anyone buying these definitely doesn't know what they are getting into.

Edited by t-man