Floating plants

Bruno

I have a 75 Gallon that has a Fluval Plant LED that seems to be too much light for my tank. I am getting algae along the substrate, except not in shaded parts. I have my light cycle down to 6 hours, and am adding plants, but I also thought maybe I should put some floating plants in to diffuse and shield some light as well as soak Nitrates out. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for?

+1 for Hornwort, keeps nitrates low fish love to play in it. I have never had an algae problem. also have a 18" planter box with a pump and pothos on top of tank.

If you tank is stocked with Cichlids they will just eat any smaller floating plants duckweed/water lettuce, I grow it on my pleco tank just to feed to the cichlids 

I have lots of floaters in all my tanks to soak up fish waste in lieu of a filter. I started with water lettuce and frogbit, they work great but make very long roots that get tangled in stem plants unless you keep them put with fishing line. I've recently added salvinia and red root floater and there is duckweed as well. They have very short roots and I may slowly let them take over. Ground cover such as Helanthium tenellum (aka Echinodorus tenellus) or something like it can also help shield the substrate.