Backyard pond regulations - City of Edmonton

fishlover

3 hours ago, fishlover said:

Thanks for the information!

For plants in the pond, do you plant their root underwater or just submerse the pots?

THere are lots of decent pond plants available; at this time of year, AquaLine is going to have your best selection.  Earlier in the summer, you can usually get quite a few pond plants at various garden centers - they might still have some available, but usually don't take very good care of them in their little tubs of water in the greenhouse

I took the fish indoors in winter but they were reproducing in summer. The goldfish that were lacklustre during winter often started spawning in weeks if not days of release into the pond. Catching them at the end of the season was always a ritual. They may look slow and easy to spot but they were masters in hiding if need be. Pretty much all plants were planted with roots below water, apart from a few higher up on the wetland slope. We failed at overwintering lillies indoors but had a Nuphar variegatum that is lilly-like with buttercup yellow flowers that can overwinter in the pond and became a more prolific plant every year and develops and extensive root system. Highly recommended. I'm pretty sure it came from the Sherwood park pond store that jvision mentioned.

I indeed don't think the pond caused too much additional evaporation but the wetland and its plant may be a bit more of a water sucker. Still very much worth it for the 'filtering services' and just the visual impact of lush plant growth. I'll see if I can dig up some photos.