Hello From Edmonton

crispkevin90

Hello, Just starting out again running aquaruiums used to run small tanks Up to 30 g a number of years ago but due to work and life had to give it up. Recently restarted with a nice Beta tank just a 10 g for now. I am in the process of choosing my first big tank. Have spent the last few months researching and going out to see all the different fish available, wow what a selection last time i had a tank i was in northern Alberta and didn't have a lot of options. We have decided to run a Cichlid tank leaning towards the peacocks. So many beautiful varities just finalizing how big of tank to go and then it begins.

Kevin 

Welcome to the Edmonton aquarium community. I'm into South American (dwarf) cichlids for which fish selection in stores is much less satisfactory but there are good choices for internet ordering, and I love them for their behaviour, looks and being compatible with plants. African cichlids have their own advantages; good fit for our tap water, much greater selection in stores, and many other local aquarists that can help with advice of provide local-bred fish. Enjoy the process of figuring out what you want and putting it all together!

Thanks for the warm welcome. Size wise i would love to run up to 150 g and have the room all depends on what stands i can find. Would love to do a planted tank but i think that will be in the future and i will probably start with a 65g for that. seems to be quite the challenge to balance the needs of fish and plants. that being said I'm defiantly up to it  Do you have a preference on pet stores in Edmonton i think i have been to just about all of them in the last month. As you say very hit and miss on the types of fish available. even equipment seems to be tough. glad to hear there is an opportunity to find quality fish locally or through online ordering.

For equipment I virtually always go to Big Al's. Best selection, good prices and on the odd occasion there is a problem I've had good support. If you become an Aquarium Club of Edmonton (ACE) member you also get an extra discount that for me pays for the ACE membership many times over. Big Al's probably also has the best selection for African cichlids in town. I order 95% of my fish from outside Edmonton because my fish of interest are simply not sold here. In addition, I find price and quality/health to be superior to what I find in LFS. If you are just getting a few fish shipping cost is prohibitive but there are regular group orders where you share shipping cost or sometimes people are  willing to bring your fish for free. I am bringing in a lot of fish from Curtis Jerrom in Calgary who specialized in South American fish. My next shipment is Sat Aug 26 and you can find his stock list on this site (

). I'll be bringing fish for others to Edmonton at no cost.

For African cichlids, Spencer Jack is normally a great source, but he is in the midst of a move from Winnipeg to an undisclosed location. So pickings are slim but prices are good. Below Water, in Montreal, has a very eclectic selection of fish including very rare imports but often with prices to match. I've use all three of these suppliers and have been satisfied with all. If you want to be informed about upcoming group orders and sales of fish bred in the Edmonton region your best bet is to sign up for the Edmonton Freshwater Aquarium Community facebook group that is very active.

To be clear, I have bought fish from LFS and mostly with satisfied results. But you have to take some time to watch the fish and be patient until you find the fish you want and in a state of good health and natural behaviour. Oasis Fish & Reptile in St. Albert is worth checking out. Not the biggest selection but on my one visit I thought they had the healthiest fish and I liked the attitude and respect for their animals of the owners. Aquarium Central has a bigger selection and they bring in some oddities that are fun to watch even if not on your bucket list. Big Al's has the biggest selection but staff knowledge and fish health is, IMO, a step lower but not a problem if you are a good judge of fish health yourself.

Definitely check out Big Al's, especially given your interest in African cichlids. Some store staff are very good and the manager is great but often not present in person, at least not on the times I tend to visit.

• 3 months later...
On 8/14/2017 at 3:56 PM, crispkevin90 said:

Thanks for the warm welcome. Size wise i would love to run up to 150 g and have the room all depends on what stands i can find. Would love to do a planted tank but i think that will be in the future and i will probably start with a 65g for that. seems to be quite the challenge to balance the needs of fish and plants. that being said I'm defiantly up to it  Do you have a preference on pet stores in Edmonton i think i have been to just about all of them in the last month. As you say very hit and miss on the types of fish available. even equipment seems to be tough. glad to hear there is an opportunity to find quality fish locally or through online ordering.

First if you decide to go with peacocks, african cichlids, no plants, LAke Malawi is rocks and sand,

Second if you start with a 65 gallons tank ( 4' long) you can have a very nice show tank all males.

I would say in 65 gallons between 20 to 25 peacocks of different species will be very nice and full of colors.