What are these polyp things on my glass and substrate?

rjsomers

Ok so this tank is the bain of my existence.

I have a giant green sailfin Molly that is like typhoid mary. First she had ich, treated tank with high heat and salt and it resolved quickly.

A week later I notice a wound on her side looks either parasitic or fungal. Same night I notice free swimming threadworms, some other thing stuck to the glass. 

Started treating daily with paraguard and a serious w/c and gravel vac and soaked several of the plants on h2o2 and removed to a qt.

Now these f***ing polyp things within a week and the wound still isnt better.

I need this tanks under control. 

What do I do? 

Add another treatment? Daily w/c gravel vac? 

I need to remove 1 ofnthe filters there are 2 on this tank it was supposed to be for a new tank to seed the filter. 

Should I ditch everything in the filter or dip media in paraguard and scrub the inside of thebfilter with h2o2?

20171202_120511.jpg

they  resemble hydra, caused by overfeeding, (is this even possible on this tank, are there other fish aside from T. Mary), I searched the database in Emergencies and somewhere it said that 3 spot gourami fry and mystery snails eat hydra, maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.  Maybe T. Mary should be in a quarantine tank, and do another massive w/c on this one. I would take out the extra filter that you are using to seed this tank, maybe something came in on this, they also come in on plants, rinse all your plants even under the leaves.  I'm not a fan of meds at all - I would go the massive w/c route every other day and withhold food.  I also read that if you cut a hydra in half trying to scrape it off the glass then you could end up with 2 hydra, but perhaps that isn't true.  don't use your net on any other tank, let it dry out that usually kills everything.

sorry i'm not much help, good luck. 

Nancy

This tank has been completely qt since the first sign of ich. 

There are mts, 4 adult swords, 7 bn plecos, regular sailfin, giant sailfin, and a handful of sword fry.

Feeding has been drastically reduced since first signs.

Anythimg other than fenbendazole work to treat it? 

I can get a massive thing from the feed store likely but would rather not try and get the dose out of large animal dewormer.

Jordanne

I've seen people have success with traps to rid themselves of planaria, I'll include a link to a good video with a well made trap and some options.  Not sure about hydra with the traps though if you can't use no planaria or fenbendazole I think your best bet might be to add some small fish like tetras or endlers in to eat them up and use a trap to help get the planaria.  From the photo I'd say that is probably hydra but I'm no expert.  I often see many different little organisms sprout up in my shrimp tanks and as long as it isn't one of those 2 I'm happy about it because that means the tank is doing great usually.  Nothing like great live food culturing itself, but I'll be damned if I could identify all the different types of scuds and whatever else is out there etc.  I'll second ckmullin's recommendation for the dog dewormer, I have used it in the past with no ill effect on shrimp or snails.  Plenty of content out there about using fenbendazole to rid a tank of aggressive pests.  If you don't want to risk it good luck with the other methods.

here is the trap

Here is another link to Mark's shrimp tanks.  He has a tonne of video on this topic as well, since hydra and planaria are so deadly to his livestock.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl4DEcd7cdV5Yj9RS0MB1mQ

They are indeed hydra. If your tank had a strong light they would turn green. I get them whenever I feed baby brine shrimp and they always disappear when I stop feeding baby brine shrimp. I've never seen a negative consequence of having them but have added some Spixy snails to a fry grow-out tank to deal with excess food and they are supposed to eat hydra as well. If you have them in enormous amounts then find out what is feeding them. If it's just the few along the bottom of the tank as in the picture I'd enjoy having them.

Note: I found that Edmonton tap water kills them. Maybe I should bottle tap water and sell is as hydraBgone elixer and get rich :)

8 hours ago, biodives said:

They are indeed hydra. If your tank had a strong light they would turn green. I get them whenever I feed baby brine shrimp and they always disappear when I stop feeding baby brine shrimp. I've never seen a negative consequence of having them but have added some Spixy snails to a fry grow-out tank to deal with excess food and they are supposed to eat hydra as well. If you have them in enormous amounts then find out what is feeding them. If it's just the few along the bottom of the tank as in the picture I'd enjoy having them.

Note: I found that Edmonton tap water kills them. Maybe I should bottle tap water and sell is as hydraBgone elixer and get rich :)

I was part of the "I heard Spixis eat Hydra" crowd until I had a bunch in a fry tank and actually watched one mow down a bunch of Hydra - it was a beautiful sight!! :)

I hope to see the same but unfortunately there aren't any hydra right now. But perhaps that means they are doing their job.