Hot Power Supply

amedublu1

Hi Everyone,  I have just set up my first aquarium over the weekend and all is good so far, but I am on a big learning curve despite all the research I did before getting started. Looking for some advice on the following:

1.  The power supply box for my light gets really hot when the lights are on their daytime setting.  Is this normal, how hot is too hot?  The unit stays warm, but I would not call it hot, when the lights are in the nighttime mode. I set it up on a brick behind my aquarium stand because I'm a bit worried about the heat.

2. Somewhat related to the above.  Where do you put all those plugs-in and cables?  Do they all hang behind your cabinet or is it safe to bring them inside the cabinet where the canister filter sits and put a power bar inside the cabinet?

These are basic questions but not well answered anywhere I have read.

A warm adapter is okay as that is what happens however a hot adapter or WARM CABLES are never good.  Could be a bad adapter or something not rated correctly to the fixture.  Is this brand new store bought or something you got used?

If there are cables around water always position the cables so there is a 'drip loop' before they plug into the wall or powerbar.  The water will not follow the wire right into the outlet but rather drip off from that point.

You can also go down to the main electrical panel and feel to the touch if that rooms breaker is warm or not.  Warm breaker = overloaded.

Edited by ckmullin

• 3 weeks later...