Hello

dezemer

I look forward to some fish talk. I have been doing this a long long time and get as much enjoyment from helping to get people into the hobby as i do from fish keeping myself.

I primarily keep and breed different species of african cichlids but have had many other types of fish over the years.

Hopefully i can be of help by coming here and hope to learn a few tricks myself : )

Welcome to AA. I'm into South American dwarf cichlids, breeding several Apistogramma species, and other South American fish. The African cichlid community is much larger and you should find like-minded hobbyists here. Another good place to participate in and contribute to the aquarium community is the Aquarium Club of Edmonton. Meetings are on the first Tuesday of the month at 7:30pm in the Allendale Community Hall (6330 - 105A St) and attendance is free.

Thank you and I may check out the aquarium club.

I do really like the different apisto's. I used to have a single double red cacatuoides. He was the last one available and I think he had an issue with his mouth. He cold barely open it properly and his lips seemed to swollen from the time of purchace. Too much inbreeding perhaps with him.....I don't know......

I am now looking to start a colony of shell dwelling L.ocellatus. I have always wanted them but they are normally hard to find and quite expensive......

Are the apisto's difficult to breed?

I don't consider apistos difficult to breed but if you use plain Alberta tap water you may be limited in the species that will breed and yield offspring under those conditions. Same story with food. If you only use dry food you are unlikely to have success. Frozen foods are much better and I feed some live food almost every day.

Linebred aquarium strains and some wild apistos from harder, or more variable, water parameters may work as well. I use RO water and only keep and breed wild-caught fish. After more than a dozen species, the only apistos I haven't got to spawn are those where I only had males, and I have fry from 8 species growing up at the moment. However, there are some tricky blackwater species that I get to spawn but have yet to find a way for the fry to survive more than a week or two.