Raising demasoni fry

Mbuna Ron

I have 6 juvenile demasoni in a 90 gallon aquarium. They have already started breeding. I rescued 5  fry and put them in a netted  enclosure. Do you have any advice as to how best I can grow them and reintroduce them to the tank? So far I have crushed 2-3 pellets of NLS cichlid food and put them into the net. I will set up a 10 gallon grow out tank if they survive. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Mbuna Ron
spelling

I think you are doing the right thing right now. Keeping them within the same water parameters is smart.

When I was breeding Lwanda I also just crushed up NLS and they fed on it very well.

The one thing I am wondering is what your water temp is at. I keep mine around 29 celcius when growing fry and juveniles as this speeds up metabolism and they will grow marginally faster.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised on how easy they are to raise. Once they become free-swimming the hard part is over, and you just need to make sure they dont get predated! Crushing up food is a great idea, and I raised hundreds feeding NLS Cichlid pellets crushed in a 10G at 80F, and had a coarse sponge over the intake of the HOB filter on it. Good luck, and let us know if you have any more questions. 

Andrew

Thanks. They are free swimming but no egg sack....look pretty fragile. Funny that already one is trying to exert "his" dominance and chasing the others... I will set up a 10 gallon grow out with hope that there will be more to come... Dwayne what are you raising? I have the last of your labs (10) and they are showing great colour. All survived and they are doing great.

I am hoping to be selling some F1 Frontosa mpimbwe juveniles soon.

My cyprichromis fry have not done so well. I have had them before and they just are not that hardy as fry.

So I have just got Taankganyikans at the moment.

Glad the yellow labs are doing well.

I had a friend 10 years ago with a community cichlid tank with demansoni. He was hospitalized so I looked after his few tanks for a year. I kept a few spawns from his demasoni and grew them to an inch and sold them. I was amazed he was able to keep maybe four adults in a community tank with other fish as I felt they needed bigger numbers. I am surprised they did not kill each other. I never raised any fry to adulthood. Pretty fish with a different temperament!

Edited by punman

My little 1/4" demasoni will take swipes at full grown peacocks when they swim by. It's hilarious to see. It will take a swipe at the older demasoni too but quickly retreats back to his spot nobody else can fit into. Hahaha

I have saulosi fry that were nipping at a 4" synodontis petricola tonight too. The courage of cichlids never ceases to amaze me!!!!!

I find demasoni very interesting because of their fearlessness as well. They have each found a spot ...I made many caves/hiding spots from a  rundle shale "wall" at the back of the 90 gallon  aquarium. The weaker/lower on the pecking order demasoni's have secured a place where they have to wedge in and can observe the aggressive males. They also have an escape route. At times it looks like the tank is empty but put NLS pellets in and they are super quick to react. They are always watching. Demasoni and tropheus are my favourite.