ID confirmation

Sammy

I bought these from the auction and they were marked as Aulonocara hueseri. At the auction I notice the body structure look very similar to the Hueseri and I over looked the colors due to the stress factor from being mauled all day in a bag. Now that I have had then a couple weeks and they have been on their own for over a week I noticed that they look very close to the Aulonocara ethelwynnae. Any thoughts on this? anyone ever keep these Aulonocara ethelwynnae? or Midnight "huerseri?

here are some recent pictures

Midnight.jpg

mid1.jpg

mid2.jpg

mid4.jpg

mid5.jpg

I hope they were just labeled wrong and not some hybrid cause i kinda like em now. Any feedback would be appreicated.

Mike

They do look like a chitande-type Aulonocara (ethelwynnae being the only described one), but I personally have trouble positively ID'ing 100% any Aulonocara as something other than what it was originally labelled, especially at an auction due to the fact that so many people seem to think that keeping different variants together is ok. Best bet would to be to try to get ahold of whoever sold them and see what they bought them as and if hueseri was just their best guess or not. But from what I can see in your pics, it does look like ethelwynnae (definitely not hueseri due to the black dorsal on yours).

Nice looking fish.

Edited by African_Fever

• 3 weeks later...