Alberta Aquatica Upgrade Drive

Hey all...

I'd like to have a photo gallery on this board.

I'd like to have security updates and know that my password is safe... that no one can look at my private messages and I'd like to know that any post by my username was a post by me.

I'm sure you'd like to know this too, and to have the features of a photo gallery.

The simple truth is that to do this, we need to upgrade the forum software with a one-time fee to the publisher of the software. Right now we are running on an out-dated program that is not supported by the people who wrote it because they decided to get into the money end of things and started charging for it. And because there are so many other forum programs out there, the 'free forum' community has also all but stopped writing code for this board and assisting other like myself in customizing it.

This leaves us to one of two options, and the people who make these choices have asked us to all get together and pitch in a little.

You may ask "Why are there advertisements at the top of the site, and why can't they pay for it?" and you'd be partially right... Majestic Aquariums does pay a small fee to have a banner up at the top of the page... and other businesses are more than welcome to contact an admin to inquire... but that money has been deemed for 'operational expenses'. This is for a complete overhaul of the site, a 1000% improvement over the existing site to provide new features and advanced functionality to YOU.

So it, is with some joy that I announce the "AA Upgrade Drive" as begun. Donations (and they are donations, strictly ANONYMOUS) can be:

- Given in person to any Admin,

- PayPal to ' Donate@AlbertaAquatica.com '

- We are accepting CertaPay (Email Money/Interac), please PM me for details.

The amount to be raised is $250 US. This is approx $285 Canadian and the first donation will be mine, to the tune of $35. So we have $250 to go...

This thread will be updated with EVERY donation, so check back to see how we're doing. With the donations being anonymous this is one way you'll have of seeing that your money is accounted for. There will be a list generated between the admins that will track each donation's specifics, unless the donater deems their gift to be a true anonymous.

So that's where we stand... There will be site upgrades when we can afford it, and if you've asked for something to be done then pitch in. Sell a bag of fry at the auction and donate half of it. Sell something on the forum and say 'proceeds to AA Drive"... have a yard sale and anything fish related that sells (like a giant shark head or a Talking Bass) gets put aside for the site.

If you'd like more information regarding the upgrade and what it will do for the site please PM me and I will forward you on some promotional material. In fact, if you have any questions at all, feel free to contact me or any other Admin or Moderator, at any time. We are here to help you grow in the hobby, and all we ask is that you help your site grow, as well.

Look at it this way: If everyone on here right now, pitched in ONE PENNY for every post you've ever made... we'd have the upgrade purchased! ONE PENNY!

DONE!!!!!! IT'S ALL IN!!!!

I'll meet up with those who are dropping off cash over the weekend and get all the various methods consolidated into one account... once I have that done, I'll need a little time to do a test change-over from the current board to the new fancy-pants board, but I can't see it being more than a week.

I just want to stress that I NEVER would have thought it would come crashing in as fast as it did... I actually had to turn people's donations away! (If you still REALLY want to donate.. buy J-ROC a fish at the auction :rofl: )

Less than 24 hours and we're done... I know where to post if I ever run a charity ;) The members here... all of you... just amazing... I applaud you all and you all should applaud yourselves... group standing ovation!