Betta History

Spinalcore

YOU'VE COME A LONG WAY, BETTA!!!

The history of the betta began 100's of years before it appeared in America. It began in it's native countries as a short finned, drably colored fish in Eastern Asia and Thailand (formerly Siam, hence the name "Siamese") in murky, muddy rice paddies. There they were bred for fighting capabilities, unlike the Oriental version that appeared here. The Orientals spent generations producing the long finned, brightly colored bettas. If you were to see what the original bettas looked like, you most likely wouldn't consider them of the same species as our beloved Betta Splendens (Splenden meaning "beautiful or splendid," truly fitting).

When they came to America, they caused quite a bit of confusion. Each color and/or fin variation (mutation) that had been produced in the other countries was assumed to be another species. Therefore, Americans gave the betta quite a list of names!

HERE'S A TASTE!

Cambodian (named for the presumed source)

Splendens variation longicauda (referring to the long finnage, specifically the caudal or tail fin)

Rubra (red Betta)

Cyano (blue Betta)

Viridens (green Betta)

NAMES OF SOME WILD TYPES:

Akarensis

Albimarginata

Anabatoides

Bellica

Brederi

Burostoma (the Brunei beauty)

Coccina

Edithae

Fasciata

Foerschi

Imbellis

Macrostoma

Picta

Plakat

Smaragdina

Taeniata

Tessyae

Unimaculata.

THE NAME

Popular writers tell us that Bettas belong to the order Labyrinthici, sub-order Anabantoidea, Family Anabantidae. The origin of this scientific name is the Greek verb, anabaino, meaning "to journey up" or "to go up." This refers to the habit these fishes have of swimming to the surface every minute or so to inhale fresh air and exhale exhausted air. These little fish are not only provided with the usual gills, but they have an accessory breathing mechanism (labyrinth) which permits them to breathe atmospheric oxygen directly.

THANK YOU WARREN AND LIBBY!!!

America also contributed to the development of this fish that was first described by Regan in 1910. One of the first Americans to devote his life to the development of the betta was the late Warren Young, who was able to produce the very long finned, highly colorful Libby Betta which he named in honor of his wife and life-long helpmate, Libby Young.

The Libby Betta carries at least two mutations for extended fin length. The first of these mutations appeared in this country in fish from Cambodia in the 1920's, and it is the mutation most commonly available. The second mutation appeared in the 1960's and was fixed into a commercial strain by Warren and Libby Young. It is through the interaction of both these mutations that the unusually long fins of the Libby strain develop. The Libby mutation is easily detected even in relatively young males by the development of a unique lengthening of the rays of the pectoral fin, especially on the dorsal edge.

Unfortunately not all the fish sold under this name are representative of the strain. The first specimens made available were red, green, or blue, but the mutation was later extended into the Cambodian series. There is also a double-tail strain of Libby Bettas available. The Libby characteristic is easily lost, and for this reason should not be outcrossed to another strain for two consecutive generations.

The Libby strain is subject to two problems which hinder it in competition. First is a condition which is referred to as "cranial hump," which is the doming of the top of the head. The second is a pronounced tendency for the rays of the dorsal portion of the tail fin to turn upward rather than follow the normal contour of the fin. Both of these conditions are hereditary and can be controlled by careful breeding.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks I got most of the information from various web sites and figured that I would share the information that I have learned about them. The order of the species that I have been researching is:

Bettas

Danios

Swordtails

Chinese Algae Eaters

Guppies

Endler's

Platies

Mollies

Various Mbuna

Various Peacocks

Venestus

Convicts

Ocellotus

Julidochromis Ornatus

Angelfish

Goldfish

Ameca Splendens

Khuli Loaches

Sparkling Gouramis

Various other Gouramis

Rams

Various Tetras

I try to do enough research on every kind of fish that I see and would like to get sometime soon then I decide whether or not I will get them. I hate getting fish at the store with knowing nothing about them. It leads you to housing them in unappropriate quarters.