Discus in Edmonton

fred

Big Als and AquaGiant. I would visit both places before buying anything. AquaGiant seems to specialize in them and Big Als always has a few varieties in all the time. And BA always seem to have wild ones. If I missed another store with a selection just as big, sorry, and I'm sure a another member can add. (I'm not even from Edmonton so I have not visited all the stores)

Oh yes, and I am sure Aquagiant sells small ones for about $40. I am not sure about BA prices. They may be higher but you will probably visit both stores anyway so you'll see for yourself.

Fred, if you're looking to hook up with local breeders, you might want to check here:

http://www.fish-club.org/index.php

You could place an ad in their Buy/Sell section, as well as attend their meetings & shows. I would imagine that someone in the Edmonton area is breeding discus.

HTH

Edited by RD.

I think Nature's Corner is looking to bring in Discus in a few months, as well. I find their quality of livestock to be a bit higher than many of the other stores in town b/c they keep all of their tanks filtered separately, instead of on central filtration.

Hi guys, I went to Big Als and Aquagiant and got two separate advice.

Big Als told me that water in edmonton is hard and if i dont have a RO system its not worth keeping discus and look at other options.

While AquaGiant told me that tap water is ok. I just need to put them in a bucket with an aerator for 1 week to condition the water.

I'm confused now. Need more help!!!

Next thing they'll be telling you is that you need to feed them beefheart. :wacko:

Edmonton tap water is fine for Discus, especially if they are tank raised specimens that have been raised in the local water. No need for an RO system, and I have no idea what the people at Aquagiant were talking about? If you feel the need to lower the pH, you could use peat in your filters, but it's certainly not necessary in most cases.

Edited by RD.

Jeesh!

Why not just break the "rules"?

I have 4 Discus, one wild, in a 55gal and I've had them all about a year. Healthy as heck, but they are fussy eaters. They really like blood worms, live foods like Blackworms, etc. Mine don't like Beefheart or the frozen Cichlid delight.

Anyway, I keep mine in a pH of 8.5, GH 220ppm, and kH of 310ppm.

Just keep the water clean and stable and once they are settled in and properly acclimated, they should be ok.

(And you wouldn't believe the tankmates that they have, but that is another story)

Jeesh!

Why not just break the "rules"?

I have 4 Discus, one wild, in a 55gal and I've had them all about a year. Healthy as heck, but they are fussy eaters. They really like blood worms, live foods like Blackworms, etc. Mine don't like Beefheart or the frozen Cichlid delight.

Anyway, I keep mine in a pH of 8.5, GH 220ppm, and kH of 310ppm.

Just keep the water clean and stable and once they are settled in and properly acclimated, they should be ok.

(And you wouldn't believe the tankmates that they have, but that is another story)

I'm with wandj. I have few discus in straight tap water. pH probably around 7.6. Fairly hard. The fish are doing just fine, for the most part. The two blue diamonds I have never seem to be all that healthy.. quite dark, and smaller than the rest. But I don;t seem to have luck with blue diamonds.

If you do lot's of water changes and keep it nice and warm. You should be fine.

AS for buying discus. Henry (Nature's Corner) always had nice discus in his old location. Sherwood park does carry discus (not always the healthiest looking). And Big Als always has a pretty good selection, same as Aquagiant.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I bought test kit today and tested my tap water for the first time.

Results are the ff:

ph = 7.4 - 7.6 cant really determine that accurate since im color blind.

gh = 180-200

kh is 100 mg/L

I'm buying my tank tom if everything goes well.

fred

so long as your tank parameters can remain consistent without any huge swings, i wouldn't be concerned at all with keeping discus in local water. if they are being kept in soft water at the lfs in town, which i doubt, a more thorough acclimation would be needed to your tap water tank but other than that you're good.

I'm buying my tank tom if everything goes well.

fred

If it's a tank that's never been set up before, you'll want to cycle it before you add your discus, or HEAVILY (I mean almost no room for the fish) plant it.... otherwise, your fish will likely croak from ammonia toxicicity and you'll think, "Discus are just too hard to keep".

Edited by jvision