Feeding Multi fry

Mbuna Ron

This is my second batch of Multi fry...lost the first. They are like little pin-heads and difficult to get food to as the others gobble it up. Will ground up NLS grow or Cyclopeze work with a Turkey baster??? Any other suggestions? Normally I feed fry live brine shrimp as well but these little buggers are too small!

I was going to suggest directional feeding. Another option is to keep them in a small tank w. a well established sponge, and perhaps some green water. Used to use this for Betta fry.

I'm not familiar with the specific fry, but for the smallest fry I go with Greenwater (Infusoria) at first. Lots of plants, like Java Moss, will support micro-organisms and they'll come with some already living on them as a rule. P. Bridgesii Applesnails produce infusoria so they'll help keep the tank populated with them, and they pull double duty as a clean up crew. They won't bother fry but I wouldn't trust them with eggs. You can usually pick up your basic Applesnail at chain stores, just make sure its P. Bridgesii if plants are a concern. You can use this page for an ID guide:

http://www.applesnail.net/content/3d_models/3d-models_1.htm

Microworms would be your next size up in readily available cultures I believe - they're often used for tiny Rainbowfish. There are many sites out there with detailed information to get you started. This one even links to videos:

http://mike-edwardes.members.beeb.net/food.html

A search for 'Infusoria culture' will fetch you all sorts of methods.

Fish clubs and forums like this one are a great place to get cultures, but if you can't find them locally I can give you Microworms & live snail water. They wouldn't get there until Tuesday, but I'd be happy to send an envelope over if you can keep them going until then. You should be able to have an Infusoria culture going by then anyway. Good luck!

Will ground up NLS grow or Cyclopeze work with a Turkey baster???

Yes, but you need to grind it up into a very fine powder. Ditto with the CE, as even it will be too big until they are a week or more along. I've used this method with a small pipette, and shot the food down to the fry until they were large enough to venture out in search of food on their own. If you can, feed small amounts 3-4 times per day, and keep up with the water changes.

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to try to finely grind up NLS and use a pipette to deliver it to the fry. Will let you know how it goes.