Is my cichlid holding?

Tanker

This thread is for people who are unfamiliar with holding to get a feel for the differences in appearance.

BTW: Those are black fish... can't get them much lighter :P

Thanks for the pics, Val.

Anyone who has shots (prefer before and afters so a comparison can be made) is welcome to post them!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all.

I have 2 female peacocks and the smaller of the was holding but isnt any longer and we haven't had any luck finding the babies so we suspect they didnt make it. So I went out and bought a divider today but I just wondering how long approximately they hold for and whether I should just put the divider in right away or not.

Cheers!

Beware that without optimal conditions the female may just eat the babies instead of spitting them out. My Jewls did that with her second batch and haven't had another batch since. (evil Mr. Blue and tank leaks to blame)

Here is a picture I took a while back, guess I had the right type of lighting :)

yellowlab.jpg

And a couple of others holding

DSC02138-1.jpg

DSC02106-1.jpg

DSC03254.jpg

I have lost first batches before, but after that the females start to get the hang of things. Like Val said, they hold between 3-4 weeks. I usually remove my females at about day 18, and put them into a separate tank (or you can do your divider thing). Sometimes it takes them a couple weeks to spit, but when they do remove the female immediately. I never strip my females, I did a couple of times, but if you don't let them carry full term they will never learn. This could do more harm than good.....an article I found http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=151.

The first picture looks like a pseudotropheus acei "tanzanian black". But I could be wrong!!

Edited by firestorm

• 1 month later...

These are pics I took a couple days ago.

(excuse the quality - they are blown up crops of the original pics)

PC051851bMedium.jpg

PC051854bMedium.jpg

PC051855bMedium.jpg

PC051862bMedium.jpg

I doubt she will whole to term (is that the correct way of saying it?) or the fry making it as the tank is just recovering from the trauma a serious parasital bloat infection... but still exciting to see :)

Edited by PiscesGirl

• 1 year later...

I never go to this link much but it would have helped me six years ago when I was starting out. Thought I'd add a picture of a holding Cyprichromis Utinta. It's quite dramatic - more so in the picture than real life as the camera flash shines through the stretched skin. They are small mouthed fish so usually just a few eggs but it is amazing how they cram them in there.

theeyesca4.jpg

• 2 years later...