Filter for a 72g bowfront

Vallisneria

My sister has decided to get a tank. I think she has settled on a 72g bowfront. She is now asking me to help her with what equipement to get. The only filtration i've every used is Aqua Clears, so I need yor guys help.

This tank is going to be in there living room so they want something quiet and easy to use since this is their first tank.

I know nothing about cannisters so could you help me out. Which would be good for a 72g that is probably going to be stocked with small tetra type fish. What brand is good, and a good value(I dotn' think she'd want to pay lots of a fancy big cannister).

I just need a starting off point so i can start researching. What brands are worth looking into and which should i stay away from.

On my 72 gal. bowfront I have a fluval405.

It works really well. I like that the canister is underneath - out of site and sound. The only visible parts are the intake and return. The newest feature is the quick disconnect so with the flip of two levers I can remove the canister without disturbing the pipes. It requires much fewer cleanings then the HOB types. I saw them at westend Super Pet and I believe they were about 200.00. Not the most expensive of the canister filters and worth the convenience.

On my 72 gal. bowfront I have a fluval405.

It works really well. I like that the canister is underneath - out of site and sound. The only visible parts are the intake and return. The newest feature is the quick disconnect so with the flip of two levers I can remove the canister without disturbing the pipes. It requires much fewer cleanings then the HOB types. I saw them at westend Super Pet and I believe they were about 200.00. Not the most expensive of the canister filters and worth the convenience.

Get a Filstar Xp3 for her tank. It will cost under $150, will filter higher volume than and eheim and is so quiet that I have one in my bedroom.

You can only do better if you go eheim for that size of tank and then the cost will almost double.

Kevin

whats the difference between a fluval 405 and 404?

The 405 is the newer version of the 404. I'm not sure if there's much difference other than the quick release. Personally, I prefer the Rena Filstar XP3 to the the Fluval. It's just a matter of preference but I belive the XP3 to be built a bit sturdier and find it a bit easier to disassemble to clean.

Last I saw, Petland had the XP3's on for about $160. In Edmonton I saw the PJ's on the south side of town selling out their 404's at an unbelievable $130. I was tempted to pick up a couple myself at that price.

I have a rena filstar XP3, a Fluval, eheim cannisters and Pro 2...actually 5 eheims. IMO the eheim is by far the best of the three however they are expensive. They are worth every penny over the long run. The Rena is a good second choice.

Edited by Mbuna Ron

The first thing to know about priming the fluval 405 is to pump the little pump 2 or 3 times, let the filter fill and THEN plug it in to turn it on. It is really easy, just important not to run it while it's dry. It is MUCH better than the old 404 I also have which really is a pain to prime and start. The 405 has had no leaks or difficulties at all. As soon as I can afford another canister I'd like to get a rena. Shop arround, ask for a discount, get the best price. I would choose between those 2, but deffinately a canister for that size tank, no doubt in my mind.

I find the Fluvals have more bypass than the Rena's -this makes them less efficient. As well I find the seals to be a bit better on the Rena. As a negative, the clamps on the Rena are not that great-make sure the hose is tight and clamped well. You do get what you pay for. Consider a silghtly used eheim if you can find one.