5.5 Gallon

FishManTy

Just got a few questions, having a few problems.

I have a 5.5 gallon, with a little piece of driftwood, and a few small plants and mosses. I got a small sword (not sure of name, Im not a plant genious), some small val's, some java moss attached to the driftwood, and then some other plant I don't know the name of. These are all basic cheap plants from local petstores, because Im just experimenting as of now. For the lighting, I have some fluorescent bulbs (2 of them at 14watts a piece), a AC mini, a sub. heater at 79 degrees, and a Hagen Natural Plant system (Co2). The plants were growing well, until I decided to add the driftwood about a month ago, and then I had to replace the old bulbs with new ones. I had to buy a new type cause I couldn't remember where the old ones came from. Since then, my algae has been way up, and my plants are turning yellow, shriveling up a bit, and fast. What is going on? Are the lights burning the plants?

I need suggestions on how to turn this tank into a masterpiece, before I lose all the plants.

I can get a picture soon, I just gotta find my camera...

Thanks

New bulbs have a stronger intensity than old bulbs and that generally is the cause in some algae problems. Next time you replace bulbs, cut the photoperiod back a few hours and then increase every few days until you get back to your regular photoperiod.

As for the plants, it seems like to me it's become a water quality issue. Get your water tested and a pic would help too :).

pH, kH, GH, NO3, PO4 and we'll go from there.

Wilson

In the meantime increase your W/C to 30% every other day. I agree with wtac on the lights, reduce time of exposure by at least 2-3 hours per day.

The yellowing of the leaves and shrivelling maybe an indication of other issues, but first reduce light period and get those W/C going.

Garhan

Use this info to trouble shoot your tank

COMMON SYMPTOMS OF NUTRIENT DEFICIENCY IN AQUATIC PLANTS

Element Leaves to first

show deficiency Symptom

Nitrogen Old Leaves turn yellowish

Older leaves die off quickly in extreme deficiencies.

Iron New Leaves grow in pale or yellow

Greenish nerves enclosing yellow leaf tissue

First seen in fast growing plants

Potassium Old Pinholes appear in older leaves, and slowly enlarge

Yellow areas

Withering of leaf edges and tips

Calcium New Distorted leaf growth

cupped leaves

twisted and bent leaves

twisted and short roots

Damage and die off of growing points

Yellowish leaf edges

I have seen an extreme Calcium deficiency which resulted in a sword plant where new leaves were growing in almost completely white.

Magnesium Old Yellow spots

Often appears similar to iron deficiency since mg deficiency prevents a plant from properly using iron.

Yellowing of old leaves starting from edges while major veins remain green

Boron New Dead shoot tips, new side shoots also die

Brittle stems

Similar to calcium

Sulfur New Similar to nitrogen deficiency

Manganese New Dead yellowish tissue between leaf nerves

Copper New Dead leaf tips and withered edges

Zinc Old Yellowish areas between nerves, Starting at leaf tip and edges

Molybdenum Old Yellow spots between leaf nerves, then brownish areas along edges.

Inhibited flowering

Phosphorus Old Stunted growth.

Sometimes leaves become darker green

Also symptoms can be similar to nitrogen deficiency