German Blue Ram Frys

terry chow

Just getting back into breeding fish as I set up a 75 Gallon. Have 7 Rams(4 males and 3 females) Conditions must be right as the females are laying every 2-3 weeks. After the 9-10th breeding I have separated the eggs into a 5 Gallon and the Eggs hatched. What I am asking if someone can help with me helpful hints to the raising of the Fry and what ideal water conditions it should be. I have been told to try Green water (Lettuce and Aquarium water) and wait for 3-4 days before using a solution of this to feed the Fry. I will also be hatching Baby Brine to feed when and if they get bigger. Currently I have been using Foster Fry Food and giving about 10-12 drops in the tank. Does anyone have any other suggestions or related links that I can read? Thanks in advance.

Here's a little info that I found on breeding rams :)

Rams become sexually mature fairly quickly - maturity can be reached as early as 4,5-6 months. Many aquarists report some pairs as being monogomous, others say Rams are polygamous and prefer the 'harem' approach (like Apistos). In my experience, Rams will pair up with a new, better looking mate almost always.

This is where having Rams can become a challenge, since breeding Blue Rams is not always an easy task. Young rams will most likely not get it right the first few times and some pairs spend most of their free time fighting: fluctuating lighting times may distort their breeding and I recommend timer-based lighting for stability. A big red abdomen and a visible ovipositor is a good sign that a female is ready and willing, and the female or male cleaning a piece of rock, wood, or creating a pit in the sand of gravel is also a promising indication.

When mine breed, they usually succeed with a pH between 6.0 to 7.0, Kh 4-9, GH appr. 9 and TDS levels ranging from 70 to 130. I have heard of aquarists breeding this fish in a pH of 7.5, however I have a hunch the TDS level was low to allow for this. General hardness, that is, magnesium and calcium ions, are considered culprits of unhatched eggs - the ions harden the egg membrane and make fertilization much more difficult/impossible. In any case, if you want to breed Rams, my experience tells me the above conditions have to be met. I am currently still experimenting with peat but have written a page on my escapades with the stuff here. I also suggest taking a look into the importance of TDS level when breeding low TDS fish such as the German Blue Ram.

I am unsure as to whether breeding Rams with many other inhabitants in a tank helps to reinforce their parenting abilities or simply over-stress them in their territory (depending on the tank size and other inhabitants). On the other hand, many Rams seem to spawn more willingly in their own enclosing, nothing smaller than a 10 gallon and fed with live food such as bloodworms (only fresh + well rinsed - beware of diseased worms!!), mosquito larvae or daphnia. A quick water change (+ adding cooler water) before feeding and even something as trivial as adding a guest dither fish or an ornament to provide an alternative spawning site has managed to spark breeding though this is of course, only a matter of time. Blue Rams and Bolivians appear to spawn every month or so.

Chums: Thanks for the info. I also went to Dennis at Golds as he gave me helpful hints. I tested the water for GH and found it to be over 250 +. The Rams have been breeding at least every 2-3 weeks. I got the Blackwater Extract and treated the water with it. This helped out greatly as it contains Peat Extract.

In the 5 gallon there is at least 30-40 Fry. Had to tell as they are really tiny and hard to see. Now they are about 1/8" and swim at various levels. Last night, in the 75 gal. a Gold Female Ram breed with a German male and laid about 100 eggs. Transferred these into a 10 Gallon treated with Methyblu to prevent Egg Fungus. Eggs are on a Pot Ornament and Air Line put in to keep water circulating. This morning, another female ready to go Ovipositor was visible and male had dug a nest in Gravel. I got a piece of Slate and covered the nest. As I type, the pair is still laying and Fertilization with over 100 eggs on the slate. I will be moving these to the 10 gallon as the two clutches are only a day apart.

Looks like I will have to pick up another one or two small tanks in the event of more eggs. The 3 females keep alternating mates with the 4 males each time they lay. Bad thing is that it will be 6-8 months before they become of any size to get rid of due to slow growth. I must be doing something right as this is the first time for me with German Blues.......

Please excuse any mistakes with any or basic terminologies as it has been a long time for me and Aquariums

My success in the past with feeding the German Ram (microgeophaugus ramerzii) fry has been with microworms until they are 2-3 weeks of age and then I flip over to brine shrimp slowly. Or I have used 100/200 micron Golden Pearls. This food is supplied by Ken's Fishroom on the internet. I really like the fact that when the fry eat this food it is seen in there stomachs, so in that way you know forsure that they are eating and more importantly are digesting the food. Golden Pearl is also available in 300/500 micron and larger.

Garhan :ml:

I would agree with the microworms, for a start before brine napuli.

You might want to get a mortor and pestil.

You can grind good quality flake into a fine powder, instead of ordering from the U.S.

Almost all of the foods available at Ken's in the states is available right here.

I know I get them all.

You just have to get 5 pounds minimum.

If you want a fine powder try Cyclopeeze. Now available at Golds.

Hope this helps.

Dave.