Couple of Newbie Questions

Pier Pressure

Hey, everybody. As some of you know I bought Finaddicts 28 gallon saltwater aquarium in November. I added 30 pounds of rock from a very established tank (several years) and things seem to be going well. A couple of questions:

1. I have this "moss" kind of stuff growing on the live rock (sorry I have not figured out how to post pictures yet). It looks like white cotton growth, and has long white threads hanging out of it. There are what look like little "worm holes" in the cotton growth. Does anyone know what this is based upon this poor description?

2. I bought a green anemone for my clown to host in. It is supposed to be a bubble tip but I do not think it is as the feeder tubes do not seem to "bubble out" like they should during feeding. When at rest, this thing is bright green, and when it is feeding it turns a kind of rust colour and of course the tentacles get longer and thicker. Any idea what kind of anemone this is?

3. Also regarding the anemone, it is eating well and moving all over the tank, and has a white Carribean crab as well as the clown hosting in him. My light is 110 watt PC and I have heard this is not enough light for aneomes. Now I note that the aneome has worked his way about 2/3 of the way up the back of the aquarium and his top tentacles sit right under the flow input. Is this due to lack of light, or does he maybe just like it there because he is getting a lot of food in the flow?

Any guesses from the knowledgable people of this forum would be appreciated! :bow:

Bubble tips don't always bubble, nobody knows why.

It could have picked that spot for any number of reasons, light, flow or it just found a nice place to wedge it's foot in. More intense lights would certainly be better but you have to mess around a little to get them into a happy place some times. Try modifying your flow pattern a bit.

Hey, everybody. As some of you know I bought Finaddicts 28 gallon saltwater aquarium in November. I added 30 pounds of rock from a very established tank (several years) and things seem to be going well. A couple of questions:

1. I have this "moss" kind of stuff growing on the live rock (sorry I have not figured out how to post pictures yet). It looks like white cotton growth, and has long white threads hanging out of it. There are what look like little "worm holes" in the cotton growth. Does anyone know what this is based upon this poor description?

2. I bought a green anemone for my clown to host in. It is supposed to be a bubble tip but I do not think it is as the feeder tubes do not seem to "bubble out" like they should during feeding. When at rest, this thing is bright green, and when it is feeding it turns a kind of rust colour and of course the tentacles get longer and thicker. Any idea what kind of anemone this is?

3. Also regarding the anemone, it is eating well and moving all over the tank, and has a white Carribean crab as well as the clown hosting in him. My light is 110 watt PC and I have heard this is not enough light for aneomes. Now I note that the aneome has worked his way about 2/3 of the way up the back of the aquarium and his top tentacles sit right under the flow input. Is this due to lack of light, or does he maybe just like it there because he is getting a lot of food in the flow?

Any guesses from the knowledgable people of this forum would be appreciated! :bow:

Darn bubble tip is certainly not living up to its name!

Its foot is smushed up against the back of the aquarium, just in the middle of the glass. It seems to be happy and looks really cool up there so I might just leave well enough alone for now. I really have to take some time and learn how to post pictures with the new camera!

Upon furher examination of the cottony growth, it seems to have a pink tinge to it. It also seems to be spreading. I am hoping I do not have some kind of weird bad creatrue happening.

Hey, thanks! That was a great site. The closest thing this stuff resembles is the sponge, though it is light pink and not blue, and there are tentacles hanging out of the stuff. It almost looks like cotton candy and I am thinking maybe it is some kind of sponge. I will research the sponges further. Thank you again.