Odd Discus behaviour

cerebus

My red spotted green Discus has been acting strange for about a week or so. It spends a lot of time (especially during the day) hiding under a large ornament in the tank (and has to angle its body to fit under there). It's very territorial about this space, and will nip at any fish that comes under there. When the discus comes out, it occasionally (once or twice a night) darts frantically around the tank for a few seconds before swimming normally again.

I tested the water, and the parameters are all fine. The fish's color is good, and it comes looking for food whenever we approach the tank so it's definitely eating. There are no obvious marks, lesions or signs of disease on the fish.

Sorry, I know it's not a lot to go on, but it's all I've got. Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

One other thing: this change is behaviour happened after I changed the lighting in the tank. When I bought it, the tank came with a reptile light and I recently replaced it with a proper aquarium light that was supposed to be better for my plants. It's still only 40 Watts (I think) but this is the only thing that has changed in that tank. I've never heard of discus being photosensitive, but maybe this is a possibility...?

I tried switching back to the original light, and there's been no change in behaviour. I'm not sure that this is the cause -- both lights are 40 watts, and the reptile one just seems to have a more yellow hue.

At least the discus comes out to eat, and is out almost constantly later in the evening. I'll guess I'll just keep monitoring this to see what the problem might be.

OK, some more information. The discus is in a fully planted, cycled tank with black water (I run peat through the filter). The discus has been in the tank for almost 5 months. He's the larger of two discus, and after some early aggression from the one that is now hiding, the pair get along fine.

This discus are by far the largest fish in the tank. Their tankmates include: 5 Tetras (3 Rummynose & 2 Pristella), 4 juvie Gold Rams, 2 Boesemani Rainbows, 1 Fundulopanchax Spoorenbergi Killie, 1 Kribensis, 4 Cories (1 Bronze & 3 Sterbai), 4 Loaches (2 Clown & 2 Yoyo), 2 dwarf Plecos (Clown & Bristlenose), 1 Farlowella Catfish and 1 Otocinclus.

Water parameters: 0 ammonia and nitrite of course, 7.6-7.8 PH, 180 GH, 50 KH. I don't have a nitrate reading.

As far as the poop question, I haven't noticed but I'll keep an eye out for that. I assume I don't want to see white, stringy poop?

If water params are in check, poops fine, body colorations are fine and the only thing different per se is the changing to new bulbs, I wouldn't worry at all.

IMHO, the changing of color spectrum/inensity will trigger some sort of behavioral response. Keep in mind fish and yes, even us humans, are photosensitive. To what degree and resulting effect will differ between species and individuals within that species.

Since he's quite taken a liking to that space, it seems to me that he's taking claim to that space, the darting out and shaking is like most animals looking to attract a mate. In a natural setting is very typical. From what we see from breeding facilities, it's our only reference point and we forget that the are, in essence, a wild animal that we've "domesticated".

JM2C

Wilson

Thanks, Wilson, since he (or she -- I've never been able to tell for sure) seems fine otherwise, I'm not going to worry about it too much. I'll watch for any signs of illness, but I've yet to see any. It's just a little annoying when your centerpiece fish decides to hide all the time :grr: , but there's really not too much I can do about it.

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by cerebus