Weird results

Rainmaker69

I set up my old 10 gallon tank Wednesday night, using substrate, rocks, and plastic plants that had all been in tanks before and were rinsed before adding. I put in an AquaClear mini with 2 sponges that had also been used before, but forgot to rinse. All of these items had sat dry for at least a year. I wanted to try to cycle the tank the European way, with prawns, so I added 4 frozen black prawns. Last night when I got home from from work, I noticed that the tank had a great bacterial bloom. When I tested, I was quite surprised. Temp 80F, ammonia 4, nitrites 1.6, nitrate 100. The nitrate I expected from the sponges and used decor but I did not expect the nitrites.

Tonight when I tested, temp 80, ammonia 6.1, nitrites 0.1, nitrates <5.

Where the hell did my nitrites and nitrates go? I did not do a waterchange or anything to the tank.

Could you post a link to this "european" method of cycling? It sounds less caustic than the fishless cycling (store bought ammonia) method I've read about on WWM.

Sure, http://www.tropicaltankforum.co.uk/viewtop...e41613b12037013

It is basically the same thing but you are using rotting prawns to create the ammonia. It seems that pure ammonia is very hard to get over there.