Filter media

vic

B)-->

QUOTE(Rick B @ Feb 13 2007, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to butt in but do you have trouble with bubbles with your xl? Seems like mine is sucking air from somewhere. Called vortex and they sent me different sizes of jar O-rings. Didnt make any difference. The screw top jar is poorly designed for fitting of the motor assembly. Anyways....any bubbles?

I purchased the 25K bag of DE from a pool shop and it seems to work just like the powder from Vortex.

Thanks

I did have a problem. If you're using a recharge valve on your hoses, I found that mine sucked quite a bit of air in through the valve - the valve is very handy but really shoddy design/construction. Other than that, no real problems.

I did have a problem. If you're using a recharge valve on your hoses, I found that mine sucked quite a bit of air in through the valve - the valve is very handy but really shoddy design/construction. Other than that, no real problems.

Yup, that is where I thought it was sucking from.. almost needs to be on though, how else does one recharge. hmm.

B)-->

QUOTE(Rick B @ Feb 13 2007, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to butt in but do you have trouble with bubbles with your xl? Seems like mine is sucking air from somewhere. Called vortex and they sent me different sizes of jar O-rings. Didnt make any difference. The screw top jar is poorly designed for fitting of the motor assembly. Anyways....any bubbles?

I purchased the 25K bag of DE from a pool shop and it seems to work just like the powder from Vortex.

Thanks

I would suggest if you are not able to see the air being picked by the inlet line, it can only be coming from two places. In the filter at the time you charged it. This I doubt as the time necessary to coat the internal filter membrane should get rid of any air in the filter cannister. (Turn it sideways while running without D/E. This will reveal any air in the filter.) The second alternative is that the filter is taking air in from somewhere. I would put common hose clamps on the in line to insure that one of these isn't the culprit. Careful, don;t over tighten. If that doesn't do the trick the only thing left is the interface between the pump body and the cannister. I would take it apart and clean both the surfaces very carefully (don't scratch) after removing the gasket. Clean the gasket thoroughly as well. Then reassemble being careful to introduce the pump body to the canister diagonally across, as you would tighten the lug nuts on an automotive wheel. I make two revolutions to foster the equal connection of the pump body to the cannister surface. Maintaining a constant pressure on the pump housing against the cannister is also beneficial. I have only put mine together twice as I just got the filter. The second time was as a result of using horti/Ari grade D/E. Far too fine, load must be reduced to about 40% of the vortex D/E load.. I had to tare the filter down to get the fine muck out of the filter. Pisces is a Vortex dealer and may be able to provide some assistance. The gasket between the pump body and the cannister should not be worn, depending on how often you tare down you filter. Even if the tare down is often it should no matter as there is no turning/friction between the pump body and the cannister on reassembly. The old Vortex filters were designed so that the pump body screwed onto the threads in the glass cannister body. This was a royal pain in the a== to get apart and resulted in the gasket replacement every time. The filter is designed to be cleaned by flushing with fresh water (a lot of flushing) and then putting the two black plastic plugs in the in and out lines. Store the diffusers in the bucket you use to start the Vortex.

IMO the bottom line is that the Vortex filter is a bit of a pain in the a== however, there isn't anything else out there that does the job that D/E does for polishing water and removing some quite unsavory critters from the water column.

Vic

IMO the bottom line is that the Vortex filter is a bit of a pain in the a== however, there isn't anything else out there that does the job that D/E does for polishing water and removing some quite unsavory critters from the water column.

Agreed...Been using one for about 20yrs. :thumbs: