CO2 setups - what do you recommend?

vic622

Well, I'm gonna make the leap from 2-litre coke bottles to cylinders, regulators etc....

Has anybody used the Red Sea CO2 Pro System (Paintball) from Big Al's? What do you think of it?

Short of buying all the parts separately (I want to go with the 20oz paintball tank due to space limitations), what do you recommend for equipment & what would you recommend to steer clear of?

I live close to the CDN/USA border, so I'll be able to buy either from Canadian suppliers, or get something out of the States if the exchange is better - I've already noticed that the Red Sea system (above) is $220Cdn or $130US on each of Big Al's sites, so there are for sure some big buck differences if I shop State-side.

Thanks,

Vic

While I am not running a pressurized unit myself yet I have looked at the red sea pro with soleniod setups a couple times both setup on a display tank at a BA's and at another club members and they seem like solid units and said individual was quite happy with it.

The only diff between paintball and standard is the connector size for the tank so that shouldn't be a concern.

Will probably be picking one of these up for myself sooner then later too.

I would like to hear reviews on the the Red Sea system too. You might also want to have a look at aquariumplants.com for CO2 equipment, they have decent prices (but only ship Canadian stuff once a month.)

If you go for the regular cylinder type setup, I have heard that the Milwaukee regulators (although cheap) sometimes need readjusting to keep a steady bubble count. I have been using an Aquamedic regulator for about 6 years and am very pleased with it- good quality, but pricey. They were about the only type available when I bought it. It's nice to see that pressurized CO2 products have become more available and affordable in the last couple years.

I use a JBJ, almost a year, with no problems. Bought from an online supplier that I will not longer refer (bad a**).

As far as CO2 tanks the best price I could find is the site below. They have outlets in Calgary and Edmonton however, the price of a 20# was about $30 cheaper from Edmonton. Go figure! They come painted nicely with a 10 year cert. Shipped to me (Red Deer) by Greyhound. I get my tank filled at the local Coca Cola distributor. They are the cheapest here and I am in and out in 10 minutes. No shipping somewhere and taking a grungy, beat up piece of ---- substitute. I get my own tank back, no hassles. The Coca Cola distributor has CO2 to drive their post and pre mix fountain pop machines. The same is true of some beer and wine stores if they cater to folks who brew their own beer in keg sizes or who just buy beer by the keg.

http://www.rechargecentre.com/

Thinking toward the future ...

Is there an adaptor that can be used between a paintball tank and a standard CO2 tank regulator?

That way I can upgrade to a regular tank later (if I want to) without having to buy a new regulator.

Just a thought,

Vic

Oooooooh! Found a bargain on eBay! There's a CO2 cylinder with regulator, solenoid, and needle valve here. This seller has two for sale. If anybody's planning to bid, let me know so I won't have to bid against you (I don't really need one, but if it's a good deal...)

Werner ...it's a good deal, but his shipping is $$$$$

$30US to Edmonton & $20US to the Montana border! I imagine the cost to Calgary would be closer to the Edmonton price thatn the Montana one ....

Ooooouch :(

Vic

The Beverage Factory (California)

http://www.beveragefactory.com

has 5 lb. Aluminum Co2 Tank Reg Price: $63.95/Sale Price: $60.75 and 2-Guage regulators from $37-45US and the shipping was reasonable @ 10.50 (FedEx-gnd to Montana) and when I used their calculator it gave another 5% discount? for a total of $108.18US.

They also have 2.5lb tanks for $56 - all new & aluminum with Tranport Canada ratings.

This sounds pretty good, no?

Vic

Edited by vic622

Just be sure to consider the extra $$ for the customs brokering fees that Fedex and other couriers charge. Here's a rate scale for UPS; Fedex doesn't show theirs (you have to phone for a quote), but it's probably about the same. There are also fees for advancing the duty payment on your behalf, and for residential delivery. Don't forget the duty. It may not be such a great deal having to pay another $50+ when the package shows up at your door.

Yeah, they really nail you if you have to use their brokerage services.

Luckily I'm about 20 miles from the Montana border and its another 5 miles to a place in Eureka, Montana that acts as a freight drop (USPS, UPS, FedEx).

If I leave home after lunch, pick up a parcel, have a coffee, fuel up, do the customs workup, pay the duty and still be back in time to make supper :)

That is, unless I do a trip to the Libby Dam like I did last week - round trip 5 hrs LOL

Vic