3mm glass and plexi

AndyL

So, I'm back to work... They've got me doing glazing. And oddly, I spend all my day working with acrylic and glass :) Anyone want to guess how big the scrap/damage pile is?

So here's the question - just how big can I build tanks out of 3mm glass or plexi?

I tried to start work on my custom 3g (ish) tank today (got about another inch I can go back in the 2.5g's enclosure; thinking I'll put the space to use) - and 2g sump... But that darn WORK stuff got in the way. Maybe monday at lunch.

Andy

With that glass thickness, no bigger than a typical 3 gallon with Euro-bracing, IMHO. I wouldn't go bigger than that as one has to take into consideration safety if by change one "dings" the glass with a hard object, it'll crack easily.

Plexi around 5-7 gallons using the same thickness as glass, perhaps 10 gallons if braced at the top but you'll have the same issues if a pane it accidentally "dinged". Plexi will crack/split easier as it's extruded through a die instead of being a pour-cast.

You'll have more options if the glass/plexi was at least 5-6mm. I don't recommend using 3mm glass for baffles in sumps as it will crack very easily posing safety issues. 3mm plexi for baffles will be fine.

JM2C

Wilson