Symphysodon tarzoo

BigA

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering anyone had heard of or kept Symphysodon tarzoo, also known as the red spot discus, and if they are available to purchase in AB. I just know that it's a new discus species, but would like to find out more. Thanks for all your help!!!

Edited by BigA

I seriously doubt anyone has as of yet....as noted, they are new, availability is very limited, demand is high, and they are far from cheap (from what I understand, most are being snatched up by European and Japanese aquarists that are willing to pay top dollar).

The name is new, but the discus itself has been present in the hobby for a long time now. This fish is otherwise known as the "Tefe green" which can be found fairly readily. I know Below Water just had some, though with wild caught fish, you may be dealing with wild prices. However, as Toirtis stated above, the nicest specimens usually end up going to Japan where aquarists are paying the big bucks. - Luke

Ah, but not all tefe greens have the red spotting.

Aye, but not all discus sold as tefes are tefes. All discus from the Tefe region should have lightly colored flanks with red spots on the side as well as on the anal fin. The discus that look the same without the red spots are not from the same region, but are located farther east. -Luke