bettafix instructions not clear

jojosavard

well, i just disenfected the tank and contents (hot water, a bit of vinegar, lots of rinsing) I'm starting from scratch.

Meanwhile, my daughter's betta is acting wierd. His belly is somwwhat swollen and and he can't get down from the surface. He struggles hard to swim down, but as soon as he stops, he bobs up like a cork. swim bladder infection? I wonder oif Jason's java moss might have been contaminated. The lady at the fish shop told me i should have rinsed it before puting it in the kids' tanks

well, success.

the seachem website suggests administering kanaplex by blending with food. I mixed a minuscule amount of kanaplex with avocado. Fed it to the fish once daily for 3 days. he seems fine now. So either the kanaplex cleared him or the avocado (Or both, I guess!)

i must admit though that the learning curve is a lot of fun. I can see how fish keeping can become addictive.

• 10 months later...
that's it, he's gone. That was fast, i bought him 2 fridays ago. within 4 days he started looking limp. The fins started clamping. Then fraying. I went to to the pet store, they recommended bettafix. Applied bettafix for 3 days. Fish just got worse. Then his body and fins covered with a white film. Cottony growth on fins. Fins dacaying and falling apart. Went back to fish store and they recommended kanaplex, saying bettafix isn't powerful enough. Great, why didn't they just direct me to kanaplex to start with instead of wasting valuable time??. anyway, too little too late. oh well, at least the frog got to munch on the poor boy for a while until i discovered his corpse.

Next step - replace the fish. Do I need to sterilize the whole tank and contents? It was pretty clean to start with. Furthermore, web sites seem to say that the bacteria and fungus are present in all water and all aquaria regardless.

I would sterilize everything. awesome instructions are here: bettatalk.com. look for the sanitization page, i can't remember how the heck to get to it.

Poor little guy. it's always more heartbreaking when they become a tankmate's lunch.

• 10 years later...

I would try Kanplex, after awhile, if there is no improvement. I got 2 fish during the Christmas of 2017. One of them is still alive with me and I love her dearly. My male, died this week with popeye. I tried a fungus care and Betts fix, but it only got worse. I'm scared that popeye will occur in my other fish. If so, does anyone know any tricks that will help my fish if she gets it?!?!