dark patches at end of tail fin

jojosavard

Hello,

bought a new betta to replace one killed by fungus. He's been in 2.5 gallon tank, (tank was diesenfected with vinegar solution and thouroughly rinsed), 24 degree water, daily 30% water change.

One week on, and he is developing dark brown patches right along the outer edge of his tail fin.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

I read through your past posts and based on what was in there I believe your past fish seemed to develop fin root, with a subsequent infection of fish fungus (maybe even cotton-wool disease). This could be the fate of your newest fish. IMO these fish are getting these diseases because of poor water quality. I know you’re doing daily 30% water changes, but these numerous water changes could be a contributing factor to your situation. I don’t believe that a healthy biological system is able to establish in your tank and the constant water changes can be a source of stress to any fish (even bettas). If it were me, I’d invest in a small Aqua-Clear (or similar) filter. The added water movement will reduce slime at the surface (which you mentioned was a problem before), it’ll establish a beneficial bacteriological culture, in addition to providing mechanical filtration. Another benefit is that it would reduce the number of water changes (small water change once per week, maybe even once biweekly). I haven’t had a betta in a while, but I had one in a 5 g with a mini Aqua-Clear and she (not he) lived for two years (a year in Canmore and a year in Airdrie). In the mean time I’d monitor the fishes condition and if it worsens treat appropriately (e.g., for potential fin rot). I hope this helps. Good luck.

Cheers

I agree with investing in an aqua clear mini. I have a male betta in a 2.5 gal wave tank which is heated and has an aqua clear mini filter installed. I only do weekly water changes and he shares the tank with 3 endlers, two shrimp & a zebra snail. I'm sure someone on this forum would have a filter for sale.