BNP with a problem

delphinus

Ok, this might not be an "emergency" per se, but seems like the best forum to ask this.

I have no idea how long this has been like this, because this fish would *never* come out into the open. Had it not been that I am taking it's current tank down, and had to remove the rock it liked to hide under (in order to catch his tankmates), I wouldn't even have noticed this today.

First of all, the fish in question is a bristlenose plec. Although I'm not sure if the ID is correct since there are no "bristles" on the nose. Have had this fish for several years now.

First thing I noticed was that the tail ("caudal fin") seemed somewhat small, so I was suspecting fin rot. In trying to photograph the tail (to show you guys and ask what I could do about it), however, I noticed something else. A red dot on the tail. It looks like some kind of barnacle or something like that, except red in colour.

Any ideas what it is, and more importantly, what do I do about it?

By lucky happenstance, the fish is now on his (or her) own in the tank. Since I am taking the tank down I moved the other tankmates over to their new home today, and that's how I basically noticed this whole situation in the first place. So treatment in isolation is something that can be done.

plec1.jpg

plec2.jpg

plec3.jpg

Edited by delphinus

2 midsize (approx. 6-7") clown loaches

1 hillstream loach

I only had the 4 fish in the 30g for the last year or so.

Ir is also possible that his tail has simply been chewed on, and you are seeing resulting damage....what were his tankmates?