65g planted tank, lighting options

delphinus

Thinking of picking up a Tek T5 lighting unit (36" - 4x39W) for my 65G planted tank.

Currently using a 2x65W PC unit (30").

Question 1) Is this adequate? If I'm gonna spend the cash I might as well get it right the first time. There's also a 6 light unit but I think that's overkill for the plants I've got..

Question 2) What sort of lights should I look at? I'm thinking maybe 2 midday suns (6000K), one aquablue (about a 11000K I think) and an actinic (just for the heck of it).

Good plan? Bad plan?

1) What is the depth of the tank? You could always go with the 6 light fixture and use only 4 bulbs, or 4 plus a midday burst with the other 2. It would suck to get the smaller one and then not have enough light later on when you want to grow some high light ground cover plant.

2) I'd stay away from the actinic and aquablue+ (15000K). The output spectrum isn't optimum for plant growth since they're made for marine applications. I've used the midday and the aquaflora bulbs and like them both. The aquafloras are slightly purplish in color and appear a bit dimmer to our eyes, so you may want to mix the two.

Tank is a standard 65. 36x18x24 (approx).

Yeah, I realize the actinics are not useful for the plants but I thought I'd try it for two reasons:

1) The 6500K lights, at least the PC's, always look a little too yellow for my taste after about 2 weeks. Not having tried the T5's yet I don't know if the effect is the same but I'd like a slightly "whiter" look to the light, especially since the mopani is making the water brownish. I thought an actinic might help make the fish colours pop a little too (not sure). If I were to stay with PC's I was going to go with 10k's instead of 6.5k's for new lamps because of this effect. A little bit of inefficiency for growing plants, so long as it's not a fatal inefficiency (so to speak) would be a small tradeoff for having a tank that doesn't look "pee yellow" (maybe I'm still stuck on the "reef look" .. not sure).

2) I'd like a dusk/dawn effect because of my loaches, being nocturnal, don't ever come out during full daylight intensity. If one bank of lights was dimmer/bluer then I thought that might entice them to come out of hiding a little more often.

And

3) Because "actinics" are "kewwwwwwwwl" LOL .. just kidding.

I like your suggestion of the 6 light and only using 4 if needed but I'm a little concerned about the size of the unit, the heat-loss options (since I have a canopy and don't want to ventilate with fans -- too much noise).. and.. well, of course, the initial purchase cost. I'll check into it though, you're right, better to do it once instead of twice and with the dollar the way it is right now, it might be a good time to consider stepping it up a bit. Ok, yeah I think you just convinced me. :) (Now to convince the other half that it's a "good idea, really" ;) )

1) What is the depth of the tank? You could always go with the 6 light fixture and use only 4 bulbs, or 4 plus a midday burst with the other 2. It would suck to get the smaller one and then not have enough light later on when you want to grow some high light ground cover plant.

2) I'd stay away from the actinic and aquablue+ (15000K). The output spectrum isn't optimum for plant growth since they're made for marine applications. I've used the midday and the aquaflora bulbs and like them both. The aquafloras are slightly purplish in color and appear a bit dimmer to our eyes, so you may want to mix the two.

The 6500K lights, at least the PC's, always look a little too yellow for my taste

I'm guessing these are the Coralife ones? I had them and always hated the color. Went to their 10000K bulbs and liked them even less. Just too much green and yellow in their spectrum. All my plants looked the same shade of green. Reminded me of those TV "learn to paint" shows where all the trees and grass are viridian green straight out of the tube.

If you're looking for the fish to pop, go with the aquaflora bulbs. I was surprised how much red come out in the fish and plants when I switched to these from the middays. Much nicer variation in the greens, reds and browns of the plant colors if you're trying to get contrasts in your aquascaping.

The mopani will really contribute to that "pee yellow" look, but it should clear up eventually. Use the plants and wood to create shadowed areas and hiding spots to encourage the loaches to move about more. Get over the reef look ;)

Tell the other half that your tank is very deep and you need the 6 light fixture. A nice MH/T5HO combo would work too, but the first option is soooo much more affordable. And you're saving money because you already have all the CO2 stuff.

Why not try an open top tank and hang the light?

I've got a Giesemann 230 Eco Plus light - 2x150W MH (Tropic 6500K)+ 2x54W T5 (Aquaflora bulbs). The T5s are on all day, and I do a midday burst with the halides for 6 hours. It's a 66 gal tank- 48x16x20" and the fixture is hung about a foot above the tank.

Unfortunately it doesn't look so good for the 6 light unit. The cheapest I can find the 4 lamp unit is $270 Cdn and the cheapest I can find the 6-light is $400ish, which mentally at least feels like almost double. Plus the 6 light unit looks like it would take up nearly the entire tank footprint, leaving me about 3" of clearance to get my hands into the tank.

Basically it means I'm still leaning towards the 4-lamp unit. Surely this will be a significant improvement over the current 2x65W I currently have, regardless, do you think? Or should I really think long and hard about getting the 6 light (even at the large upstep in cost)?

Tony the bulb system is 16 inches wide. Have one from my old reef. Definately would be enough light mind you - was using it on my sps tank (the one you saw - the three level tank)

Nice thing is you get really good mix and match options on the 6 bulb system. I am thinking of using this one when I setup my larger planted tank. It is worth the exra cash, and worse case scenario you can use it for a reef if you ever get the desire :rolleyes:

One thing to remember - the tec5 fixtures do not come with bulbs.

Edited by JSTR

Paul, how much heat came off the 6 lamp unit of yours? I hear the Tek's don't have fans so I'm a bit concerned about heat buildup. I have a hillstream loach and I'm concerned that with summer here the tank is gonna perch precariously on the warm side for his liking as it is. I really don't know about taking away the canopy at this point, I need this tank to be quiet so every little thing that helps muffle the noise has to stay on there. I was really convinced that a 4-lamp unit was going to be enough of a step up from what I currently have as it is .. now I'm not so sure!

The only problem is .. I could go out and buy a 4-lamp unit today, but probably would have to hold off on a 6-lamp unit for quite a while, it's just too far past the "comfort threshold" in price. $400 for the unit plus another $80 in the lamps .. I dunno, that's a LOT of coin. :(

If you decide you'd like to sell yours instead of hang onto it, let me know ..

Tony the bulb system is 16 inches wide. Have one from my old reef. Definately would be enough light mind you - was using it on my sps tank (the one you saw - the three level tank)

Nice thing is you get really good mix and match options on the 6 bulb system. I am thinking of using this one when I setup my larger planted tank. It is worth the exra cash, and worse case scenario you can use it for a reef if you ever get the desire :rolleyes:

One thing to remember - the tec5 fixtures do not come with bulbs.

I was really convinced that a 4-lamp unit was going to be enough of a step up from what I currently have as it is .. now I'm not so sure!

Wattage wise, the 4 lamp fixture (156W) isn't really a significant step up from your current PCs (130W). Not enough to justify $300+, IMHO. And like you said, the 6 lamp unit is a lot of coin. Maybe add another 2 x 65W PC fixture instead of the T5s? Just scrap the whole idea? Now I remember why I haven't set up any new tanks... :cry:

Wattage wise, the 4 lamp fixture (156W) isn't really a significant step up from your current PCs (130W). Not enough to justify $300+, IMHO. And like you said, the 6 lamp unit is a lot of coin. Maybe add another 2 x 65W PC fixture instead of the T5s? Just scrap the whole idea? Now I remember why I haven't set up any new tanks... :cry:

I thought about doing that (4x65) or even 2x96W but the replacement cost of PC lamps is driving me crazy. One nice thing about the T5's - $20 per lamp is hard to beat for high-end brand name bulbs. Although I guess it's a moot point if you're replacing 4 (or 6) @ $20ea versus 2 @ $40. -05- Hmmm, darn it.

Well .. maybe I'll see what I can sell to help push me towards the 6 lamp unit. I guess it doesn't have to happen today ... -_-