Blind Bichir advice needed!

murmade

Hello all! I've recently gotten 2 Bichers(delhezi) that had their eyes eaten before I got them, They have healed, they are both good eaters, but the large one bites the little one whenever they bump paths.....sometimes it grabs it by the face or by the tail, but it strikes really rapidly like its hunting prey! The smaller one does not bite!

Just wondering, Does anyone else keep 2 bicirs in the same tank?, Do Bicirs that can see not Bite each other? Should I seperate them? There doesn't seem to be any damage happening yet, just annoyance so far!

Any help would be great! I'm new to this whole Polypterus thing, so I'm not really sure whats normal behavior, and where they are blind I'm not sure if I'll get normal behavior.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. they still hunt well, they ate 4 small Green Terrors over night! :grr: stupid mistake # 147639 and counting!

Just wondering, Does anyone else keep 2 bicirs in the same tank?,

Yes, and 5 in one tank, and 3 in one tank, and 8 in one tank, and....

Do Bicirs that can see not Bite each other?

Not generally, no, but conspecific males will occasionally joust.

Should I seperate them?

You may have to.

There doesn't seem to be any damage happening yet, just annoyance so far!

No, but it could occur, especially if the fish are in any way different in size.

Any help would be great! I'm new to this whole Polypterus thing, so I'm not really sure whats normal behavior, and where they are blind I'm not sure if I'll get normal behavior.

While by no means new to Polypteridae, I have never dealt with two blind delhezi (or any other species) together in a tank, so I have no idea if they will eventually behave normally...at best, it is a wait and see situation.

P.S. they still hunt well, they ate 4 small Green Terrors over night! :grr: stupid mistake # 147639 and counting!

Do not feel too bad...I erred in judging the potential prey size for a couple of my bichirs a few years ago, and they relieved me of about $250 in uncommon catfish in a single evening.