weird floating

cichlidkid

I got a jag from riverfront. he was the biggest one by far and by his colors obvously ruled the tank. When he was in the pet store he was swimming and doing fine. when I got him home he hid in the plant and floated all funny. No big deal right? I mean he was the smallest fish in a strange new tank so obvously he was scared. Anyway now, 2 months later he still float kinda funny. He doesnt move when he doesnt halfto. most of the time he just floats with his nose up or down. he can swim normaly but usualy when somefish is on a collision course with him he just turns on the side and make an arch that they slip under.

He has no physical signs other than the floating of any problem. he fights eats and looks like any jag of his age.

The strangest thing is, he never gets beat. other that the occasional nip taken at him for not moving he never gets beaten up. He is growing very fast and is now the fourth biggest in the tank out of 10 fish.

When he gets into a fight he flares his gills and all of the sudden swims normal but when he wins or the other fish leavs he just goes back to floating.

My Mom preposed that maybe he is mental retarded. could this be? Are jags just like this?

water perams are great and the have been since we got him. That is actualy why we went to riverfront in the first place, to get the water tested and it was better than fine.

• 4 weeks later...