Breeding Group/Stocking

geoff

I've had a 45 gal tank sitting in my basement as a hospital tank for about six months now and i've decided to put a breeding group in it instead. A 20 gal. is now the hospital tank.These are my ideas... Tell me what you think.

1) Group of Victorians, a bristle nose and a catfish. (always liked vics and maybe I'll spend the money to get something a little more uncommon.)

2) A wild group of Pecaocks, Cat and Pleco (always nice)

3) maybe some Saulosi and a pleco. (haven't had mbuna for a while. could be interesting)

Also suggested numbers of fish would be great and where to find some nice vic's.

Thanks

Geoff

Edited by geoff

Personally, with a 45 i'd go with some smaller shell/cave dwellers, with a synodontis or two for a bottom feeder.

your suggestions are beautiful fish but very territorial - they need space and hiding spots to avoid killing each other (or at least the female(s). i wouldn't put them in any less than a 4ft or 75 gal. tank.

This website is a fantastic source - http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/index.php

jimbob22

I was doing research and i came across the victorian species Haplochromis Sp. "Kenya Gold". It only reaches a max of 3 inches in males and there's people talking about keeping 3 males and 3 females in a 20 long. I would probably do something like 2 males and 4 or 5 females if i could find some to get.