SW lighting

BigA

What is the difference between different types of flourescent lights? T8, T6, T5, Standard, Compact? Are there advantages and disadvantages to each?

The reason I am asking is that I have a 29gal with an eclipse hood that I am converting from fw to sw. The light system in the hood is dual T8's. Will this be sufficient for a FOWLR tank or even a reef tank? Where can I pick up bulbs for a T8 system? Are there different types and spectrums that may be better suited for a marine tank?

Any help you can give would be great. Thanks!!

T8 will be good for a FOWLR but for a reef not much will survive maybe a couple mushrooms and gorgonian. PC's and T5 will do better but after you have a reef you will alway want more better to save your pennies and buy some used metal halides right from the start you will get there anyways. I have freinds that have had a reef since last Friday and they are already talking of selling off all their show cichlids and turning the tank into a FOWLR :thumbs:

If you want a FOWLR then you are fine. Get one 10000K bulb and one actinic for your Eclipse hood. You can get T-8 bulbs and I think T-6 will work as well because the pin configuration is the same. Smaller diameter bulbs are more efficient because there is less re-strike, therefore more of the light coming off the reflector actually makes it into the tank. You cannot use T-5 or Power Compacts in the hood you have now without some major modifications. Having been in your situation I would advise against rushing in. Save your money up and do it right the first time. You'll just end up kicking yourself when you waste more money upgrading down the road (and trust me, you will).