Best DIY cave?

EowynJane

I've boiled the heck out of it and the water still turns brown after just 1/2 hour of boiling, does it get any better or should I just give up now?

It will likely keep leeching for a while. I wouldn't worry, it's natural stuff and won't hurt your tank. : )

How does your cave look? Did you defuzz it or leave it natural?

Yes I "defuzz" it. I just used a sharp knife to try and remove it - you're supposed to angle the knife up and towards you and scrape it upwards, come off real good that way.

Unfortunately I don't have a camera to show you the cave. It's just laying bare in the tank but it looks decent.

BTW - I drained mine also, that's why I had to use a saw. If the juice is still in it you just need to whack it once. My knife was also banged up pretty good before I took out the saw.

How come most people say "eeeewww" to the coconut juice - I love the stuff.

^ You don't find it oily? It really wasn't good. Next time I'm going to crack open a coconut I'll let you know and you can come over and have the juice from it.

I haven't added mine yet because I wanted to put the moss on top of it and I can't find alum to desnail the moss. What kind of fish did you make the cave for?

I just don't want brown water and low PH, I hope it doesn't leech to much.

^ You don't find it oily? It really wasn't good. Next time I'm going to crack open a coconut I'll let you know and you can come over and have the juice from it.

I haven't added mine yet because I wanted to put the moss on top of it and I can't find alum to desnail the moss. What kind of fish did you make the cave for?

I just don't want brown water and low PH, I hope it doesn't leech to much.

The older coconuts tend to taste oily, but I still like it.

I don't know much about alum, but can't you just use salt to get rid of the snails?

I made the caves for my Electric Yellow and shrimps - and just so that any fish can find a place to hide (I have a community tank).

As for the brown water I boiled my three times then I let it soak in water over night and then I boiled them again. So far I think I'm safe. I wouldn't try and wait for the water to be completely clear as it might take a while, just as long as it's only slightly brown after you boil it and you soak it over night it should be fine.

Ah.. well ours must have been really old because it was really oily.

Salt might work, but I think it would be harder on the plants. I did find some alum, my moss and guppy grass are soaking now (the grass is just for my plants in my other tank).

I boiled the heck out of the shells... the water isn't clear but I figure it's good enough. I just don't want anything that's going to really effect my Ph.

• 2 weeks later...