A Trading post.

How about a trade section added to the buy/sell forum?

We can post if we're looking for something in particular or just advertise something we want to get rid of but don't want to go through the hassle of deciding a sell price.

I've done two trades in the last week and found it was much more rewarding than buying items.

This would also free the mods from having to chastize people who incorrectly post items in the buy/sell forum. They could simply move the posts to the trading category, then the seller can negotiate with interested parties to either trade for other items or for cash. This free market approach could allow sellers to get a good return for items they are selling as they would be free to take the highest bidder.

If selling use "WTS" in the subject line. (Wanted To Sell)

If buying use "WTB" in the subject line. (... Buy)

If trading use "WTT" in the subject line. (... Trade)

By far the largest problem with trades is "what to trade". Maybe you have an item A and are looking for an item B. Fine as long as someone out there wants and A and has a spare B. Most times it is easier to find someone who needs an A, and someone ELSE with a B, and make two transactions with a bit of cash going around, too.

Generally speaking, if a general rule of subject line is used then there is no need for the separate section. Eg: "WTB BN Pleco, Edmonton". Short, sweet and simple. Tell what the transaction is, what the goods are, and where your area if interest is. Or "WTS Ps. Acei, Ship in Alberta" tells a different story but it is a plain, clearly understood one. Lastly "WTT Fluval 405 for heaters, Calgary" is exactly what we need to see, to know that a trade is requested, what you have and what you are looking for.

I find it hard to justify a section of the forum devoted for this idea mostly due tot he general lack support for trades in the first place, and the fact that they are not different enough from a regular transaction to warrant their own space. If trades encompassed even 25% of a forum, I could see looking into it, but it's just no where near that, yet - if it ever will be.

In the meantime, if someone has something you'd like to offer a trade for, there is nothing barring you from sending them a PM and asking if they would be interested in your item as opposed to the cash price they had posted.

I find it hard to justify a section of the forum devoted for this idea mostly due tot he general lack support for trades in the first place, and the fact that they are not different enough from a regular transaction to warrant their own space. If trades encompassed even 25% of a forum, I could see looking into it, but it's just no where near that, yet - if it ever will be.

I suppose the reason I suggested this was that I think the title of the current buy/sell forum indicates a bias towards cash transactions. Trading is less likely under these circumstances and may be why there is a perception of a lack of general support.

I've found that from using this site that I've become interested in keeping fish that were previously unfamiliar to me just from seeing them offered in the forums. I thought if there were a sublisting for items/livestock that people are willing to part with, it might inspire AA members to diversify their interests or acquire items they were not actively seeking.

Unlike the current buy/sell forum, this sub-forum would be a list of items specifically made available for trading and not listed by motivated sellers who need to make room in their tanks. These listings would only expire when the items are actually traded so the sub-forum could serve as a catalogue of available material (where complicated trades like those that you suggested could be potentially arranged).

Perhaps a trading list could be pinned to the livestock/equipment forums like the plant swap/giveaway thread used to have. This would be a good way to actuallly evaluate interest in such a subcategory.