Summer Pics

Slough Shark

Here are some summer pics of some friends of the family's farm in Saskatchewan (guest password is still "fishhunt")...

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff292/S...?albumview=link

The heron pics are trophies for me as they are my favorite bird and I have also persued them for photos at Chickackoo Lake not far from where I live, so I was overjoyed to get pics of these majestic birds (though this juvenile wasn't so majestic as it tried to walk in the tall grasses in the field).

We drove up after feeding the cows and were about to feed the goats and there was this juvenile great blue heron perched on the edge of the trough. So of course I had to pester it trying to get pics and it flew off into the field a little ways. So my buddy and I went in after it because we could see it was not a champion flier (must have just learned how) and it was very clumsy walking in the tall grasses with it legs. So my buddy picked it up just like you would a chicken and let me take some great pics of its face (the pic with dry grasses behind), the bird bit me (which gave me a good understanding of how the fish feel when they pro anglers are hunting them), and we took it down to the creek that can be seen in the pics.

While we were at the creek I snapped a whole bunch more pics of this bird and then we decided to leave it alone. A couple hours later I came back down to do some fish-hunting and there was a much larger heron (possibly a parent of the juvenile) stalking the fish.

Enjoy the pics guys, spring is not too far away! We're Canadian, we can survive it :ml:

Taylor

Thanks Murminator! I don't know exactly where the farm is, but it's somewhere in between St. Walburg and North Battleford- so you're right, is is getting close to the shield (do you know the area?).

Yup Turtleford, Glaslyn, area good quadding around there St Wallburg has a big quad rally every year lots-o-skeg

I always love looking at your pictures, Taylor. :thumbs: The Mexico ones were fabulous too!

If you're ever in Calgary, please come photograph my tanks!

( .........I'm not kidding! I'm the world's worst photographer, I even have the certificate.... )

I went ice-fishing there a couple weekends ago. Didn't catch anything though, no bait and wrong lures too :rolleyes: I still have yet to catch my first trout!!

Fishing's only good there in the Fall. The lake has brook trout and they spawn in the fall. First ice is the best and just about the only time to catch the fish there. Roe sacs work the best...I used to make my own. Fish right off shore at the entrance by where you park. And believe it or not, you want to fish in about 1' of water.

I also fished at Sauer lake right across the road a few times as well. Not a lot Rainbows in there, but the water is crystal clear and its something different. Good luck.