Tanganyika Compatability

dk77

I add some sea salt sometimes to my main tank. But the little tank I had the pleco in was not buffered / nothing added. I get about 7.8 pH out of the tap. I probably should have had some driftwood in there for him to hide. As it was, he was stressed and hid out by the heater all the time. it eventually just cooked him. Now I have heater guards.

I Have been reading alot about what people think about what types of fish go with each other and you have to understand that many people are posting their own oppinions, which is good and bad. I have seen many different types of fish together in tanks that i would not prefer to see together, but bottom line is if you like the fish you got and they live happily and make you just as happy then that is the very best for you and your tank.And if your like me than live by yhe rule that only the strong survive as long as your not killing mass groups of fish than anything goes,as long as your HAPPY...But this is only my oppinion and thats O.K...

I definitely don't think you should always follow the rules and go with what everyone tells you to go with. I have been testing different fish together for at least a year now, and I have had hardly any deaths caused by another fish. What works for you might not work for someone else. It is all determined by factors to whether or not your set up will work and others not. Tank size, decorations, size and aggression of fish, are probably all huge factors on how successful your combinations will be. Don't get me wrong, it is always better to hear other peoples opinions on what has worked for them, then it at least gives you an idea of what you can try. We have 10 tanks in total here, and we have a tank that will be all tangs by monday, one that is strictly malawi, one that is malawi, victorian, central american all in one, then another that is strictly SA cichlids. I would try not to get peaceful fish for a tank with extreme aggressive fish, because that would be just plain stupid. But if they will at least be aggressive enough to stick up for themselves, they have a better chance of working. Do you follow what I am saying? Heck people have told me before that my combination of fish is a bad one, but over all, we have had no major problems, just a few where we had to move fish to more appropriate location. Hope this helps you out :)