starting out with salt water

firestorm

I was thinking of buying a nano cube, and trying out a few species of salt water fish. What would be the hardiest fish for beginner salt water keepers? Or any suggestions on live coral or anything? I have been keeping freshwater for years now, but want to try salt water because they are just gorgeous.

Can't go wrong with good ol clowns, firefish, royal grammas, clown gobies, rainford gobies, yellow watchman, redhead, or a catalinas.

For corals depends on the lighting most likely stick to sofies mushrooms, ricordias, zoos, leathers etc they require little light and do good in a small tank

• 1 month later...

Is a smaller Salt tank harder to take care of than a large one? For someone who is just starting out...

When things go bad, and they will, it happens faster in a smaller tank. That being said the most trouble I've had is with my 24 gal, the 5 gal has been a breeze. Do lots of research before you buy anything.

Good advice. I started off with a 14g biocube, and while I don't regret it, I think if I was to do it over again I would have started with a 30-48g. Mid-range, not so big as to be overwhelming, but still large enough that there is some leeway if things go wrong. Then you can add in whatever you want because there is more room and once you have decided what upgrades you will want there is some room to do them. (sump, skimmer, lighting options, etc.)

I agree 100% with sharuq1. I started out with a nano cube. I'd start with a 33 or larger if I was to do it again. You will need to spend a bit more time putting your equipment together, but it will be worth it. You have much more flexibility with the standard aquariums than with the

cubes. There are positives and negatives to both. Do lots more research before you start spending money. Getting the good equipment the first time costs more up front but will save you money in the long run.

I would not say that clown gobies are a good beginner fish. We recently got one from a lfs and long story short they are usually caught using cyanide and can be very hard to keep alive. Just my experience. This little guy is still alive and appears to eat but he is pathetic - looking. Skinny, hard breathing, etc.