Betta with clouded eye

hobbithall

My daughter's betta contracted ick (from my son's, I think - my fault for the cross-contamination) and I treated both tanks with Jungle's Fungus Clear (I'm pretty sure that's the product-don't have the box at work). Each tank got a half-tablet and was re-treated about 3 days later.

It's been over a week (closer to two) and both bettas have been fine - until lastnight. My daughter's fish has one cloudy eye. What causes this?

I plan to do a water change when I get home, add salt and a good dose of pimafix. Should I be doing anything else? Would another dose of Fungus Clear be a good idea?

Don't have the water parameters on me now as I didn't test the tanks lastnight. I'm thinking that they may have gotten away from me. :boxed:

Looking forward to any replies. (Sure hope I don't lose this one :unsure: )

Cloudy eyes are almost always due to poor water conditions.

I would do a 100% water change, increase the temp to maybe 80-82. Add some salt. Is the fish eating well? If not, don't add the food. I would also keep the tank in the dark. Is this tank heated and filtered?

Hi Qattara,

Thanks!

The tank is a 5 gal heated with a sponge filter. I had my daughter do a smaller water change (about 30%) yesterday afternoon as I figured something was better than nothing. She added Pimafix and Epsom salts to the water.

When I got home, I did another change (about 80%), and added Pimafix, Melafix and salt. I also increased the temperature to about 80 F. The eye seemed better this morning, but we'll have to wait & see.

The fish is active, feeding well and seems to be in good health otherwise. I've told my daughter to feed pellets only (no bloodworms) for a couple of days. And I will call her & tell her to turn off his light - other than that, her room is pretty dim.

Counting the days till the 18th when I'll be able to get to Nature's Corner for some NLS!!! (And Prime and plants and other stuff... the list is growing!)

Should I do another w/c tonight or wait till Friday?

Just wanted to follow-up & say that everything above seems to have worked.

I was about to go out & get some anti-bacterial medicine, but Tsunami's eye seemed perfectly clear lastnight, so I'm glad I procrastinated. Still treating fishy as a convalescent (dark, quiet) for a couple of days, but I think we're out of the woods. :thumbs:

Thanks, Qattarra! :D