weird algae?

nat

I am back from my 2 month vacations and am chocked about my aquarium look. Some plants died, those remained do not look healthy. And everything - plants, aquarium glass, driftwood and rocks are covered with the layer of white-green dust. Does anybody know what it is is? I quess it is some type of algae, but which exactly and how to fight them? HELP!!!

not enough info. to be of much help, ie: lighting, CO2 or non co2 but if the tank was neglected for 2 months then I would do mulitple smaller water changes initially perhaps on the order of 20% every other day. Prune and remove as much of the dead plant matter that you can. Scrape the algae off the glass and then vacumm the debris up while doing a water change. Reestablish ferts,. if in fact you were dosing ferts.

Rick

It is not a slimy algae, just on the contrary - very hard and not easy to scrape. So I do not think it is cyanobacteria. I could not find in the Internet which describes what I have in my aquarium.

Tank parameters - 50 gal aquarium, DIY yeast reactor, 25 deg. celcium, 4 watts per gallon lighting. I believe while I was away no ferts were added.

I already cleaned up the aquarium from the dead plants, changed 20% of the water (and am going to do more frequent changes in the future) and added ferts.

It looks much better, but I am still concerned about the algae. It does not look good and I do not like the fact that I could not diagnose it (therefore I do not know what to expect). But surprisingly, all the fish have survived and the water tests showed zero amounts of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.